About Edge Housing
Edge Housing Project is a ministry of Oxford Community Church, providing housing and a better future for people who have been homeless. It currently has five houses, two part-time staff, and a growing reputation in the city. Having been well established and now entering a phase of rapid expansion, the project is looking to refresh and expand its board to provide all the support and challenge that will be needed in the coming years.
The purpose of this role is to lead the board and to direct the senior management, in order to secure a flourishing project serving those in need. It is a key part of the role to ensure
maintenance of the Christian basis of the work and its church relationship.
Within the Oxfordshire Community Churches (OCC) charity, the Edge Housing board is directly overseen by a ‘Central Region Governance Team’ (CRGT), who act as trustees of several community churches and also oversee The King’s Centre Ltd. The Edge chair will also be a member of CRGT, enabling them to hold a bigger picture, to act as a conduit for CRGT requirements and expectations of Edge, and to raise the profile of Edge amongst the churches.
The role is voluntary, and we expect it to take at least 8 hours per month. (The exact time will depend on what working relationship is developed between the Chair and the project lead.)
* To lead in developing vision and values for Edge Housing
* To set a culture of Christian prayer, worship and reflection in the Board, and to ensure that the executive does that in the staff team
* Encourage a culture of dependence on God, in which there is an expectation of God’s power impacting residents
* To oversee compliance with the law, good practice and good governance, and in line with
charitywide policies and procedures
* To ensure creation and review of policies and procedures necessary for the project
* To oversee the Project Lead in creation and delivery of strategy and operations
* To agree agendas for board meetings and ensure taking of minutes
* To connect with the chair of CRGT on a regular 1:1 basis
* To engage with the Oxford leadership team as requested, e.g. advising on the wider
development of social action in the city
* To represent the project externally as required
* To ensure oversight of finances, budgeting and reserves policies, within the framework of the wider charity
* To line manage the Project Lead (or to delegate this to another member of the board)