Improving lives for Young Carers
Ensure young carers - young people aged 5 to 18 who look after family and friends who could not manage alone - are enabled to take part in activities social, cultural and leisure activities most young people take for granted.
August 2010 - July 2015
Carers Trust Heart of England (formerly Coventry Carers' Centre and Crossroads Care)
Young carers experience significant disadvantage. They
- Are isolated from their peers
- Are stigmatised due to the condition of the cared for
- Are bullied at school
- Have emotional problems - worry & anxiety about the cared for, the adverse effect caring has on their lives and constant fear of family separation
- Physical ill health due to moving & handling the cared for without training
- Low school attainment due to absence, leading to reduced life opportunities
- Live in poverty
The project will enable young carers to take part in a range of cultural, leisure and social activities to:
- Reduce social isolation
- Improve mental health
- Improve physical health
- Improve self esteem and life skills
Provide young carers with a range of cultural, leisure and social activities
Activities» Provide 150 individual activities for young carers - average cost £250
» Provide 250 group activities for young carers - average cost £175
Success will be... more young carers reporting improvements to their health and well being and life chances.
Young carers will report:
- Reduced social isolation
- Improved mental health
- Improved physical health
- Improved self esteem and/or improved life skills
Success will be demonstrated by:
- Young carers' surveys
- Individual quantification of improvements to quality of life
- Case histories
- Digi stories
The only risk relates to the long term sustainability of the Carers' Centre, within which the project would sit. The Centre has a Business Plan for 2009 to 2012 that addresses all risks, including a plan to ensure the long term financial stability of the Centre.
As required - our extensive database can produce tailored reports, which can include:
- Quarterly activity reports
- Annual outcomes reports
but we can produce whatever is require to meet funders' requirements.
Budget - Project Cost: £81,250Loading graph....
Amount Heading Description £37,500 Activities 150 individual activities £43,750 Activities 250 group activities
The project will work with young carers in the whole of Coventry.
There are about 4,500 young carers in Coventry. Coventry has large BME and socio-economically deprived communities.
Past outcomes achieved by the activities we have provided are:
Group % Individual %
- Improved physical health & well-being 95 100
- Reduced isolation 100 100
- Improved self esteem 88 100
- Improved life skills 66 94
Read more about the Charity running this project.
Young Carers' Activities Co-coordinator