Chyulu Hills Game Scout and Rhino programme, Kenya
The Chyulu Hills is part of the larger Tsavo ecosystem and its Game scouts work to; protect this important area, its rare black rhino population, wildlife and works to resolve human-wildlife conflict and ensuring equitable share of water sources between wildlife and people.
Charity information: Save the Rhino International
The Chyulu Hills acts as a crucial water catchment area for wildlife, livestock and neighboring communities, and provides shelter and food for a high concentration and diversity of wildlife. The Chyulu Hills’
rhino population is one of the last potentially viable unfenced populations of D. b. michaeli in Kenya and the population range stretches from Chyulu Hills National Park, onto land owned cooperatively by a Maasai community.
The Maasailand Preservation Trust employs 65 local men as Game Scouts, who work to: combat poaching activities, protect the rare black rhino population, resolve human-wildlife conflict, keep river systems flowing and ensure equitable share of water sources between wildlife and people, provide general security, including anti-stock theft and protection of the indigenous forests, facilitate operation of the Predator Compensation Fund (PCF) and rescue people and wildlife in distress.
Enhance the viability of the black rhino population and other threatened species
Activities» Maintain a constant anti-poaching & patrolling presence to deter poaching activities, provide enhanced security and prevent environmental degradation
» Generate the skills necessary to identify individual rhinos and monitor their activities for future management decisions
What success will look like
No rhino poached in the Game scouts’ area of operation and patrol at least 30,000 acres of core rhino habitat per month
Other wildlife and the ecosystem protected
Secure long-term sustainability by generating benefits from conservation for local communities
Activities» Provide employment opportunities for the local communities
» Provide benefits such as local schools and a free healthcare facility
What success will look like
$100,000 worth of employment provided
61 Maasai students given full wildlife scholarships
Three schools built
17 teachers’ salaries covered
Free healthcare facility
There have been no incidents of rhino poaching despite the increased threat from highly organised poaching gangs operating in Southern Africa. The threat to local wildlife of the game-meat trade (poaching) cannot be overstated. In the past eight years, MPT scouts have retrieved more than 5,000 wire snares and arrested more than 350 poachers. The project aims to mitigate Human-wildlife conflict as it is the greatest single threat to sustainability of the Amboseli-Tsavo ecosystem
The main risks to the project include an increased poaching threats as well as funds avaliable to cover the project. Staff undergo threats analysis in order to plan for any potential threats and a coalition of regular funders have been sort.
Save the Rhino has supported this project since 2003 and regularly reports to a number of grant-making organisations on the projects achievements and progress. We also provide updates on our website and in our biannual supporters magazine - The Horn.
Budget - Project Cost: £240,000Loading graph....
Amount Heading Description £145,000 Personnel Game scout wages, rations, bloodhound supply £45,000 Equipment, vehicles Vehicles maintenance, fuel costs, radios, uniforms, GPS units, binoculars, camera £50,000 Capital Purchases new field patrol vehicle, new game scout office
Current Funding / Pledges
Source Amount US grant-making organisations £55,000 Guaranteed UK/European Trusts & Foundations £32,500 Guaranteed Private donors £39,000 Guaranteed
About 80% of the Chyulus’ black rhinos’ home range is inside the National Park, an area of 741 km2. The other 20% of their range is outside the Park, on Mbirikani Group Ranch, a Maasai cattle ranch comprising collectively owned land, nestled between the Chyulu Hills and Tsavo West National Parks and the Amboseli Reserve. The Chyulu Hills National Park in Kenya is a long range of volcanic hills that acts as a crucial water catchment area for wildlife, livestock and neighboring communities
Black rhino, wildlife and the local community
Read more about the Charity running this project.
Chairman of Maasailand Preservation Trust