8000 Miles Can Save A Mother's Life In Somalia
We need help for delivering all required equipment 8,000 miles to the maternity ward of Mahas General Hospital!
It's the only maternal ward in the Mahas district, yet the outdated equipment cannot provide good quality service to save mother's life. We have everything, but now need to send to them.
December 2017 - January 2018
Charity information: Hear Women
1. A need of a better equipment for complex cases: In the whole region of Mahas in Somalia, most women give birth at home; only those with complications reach the maternal unit. Yet the hospital 's equipment is out of date and insufficent.
2. Ensuring that no mother dies from birth complications: Mahas General Hospital is the only hospital that provide life-saving medical assistance to mothers-to-be in the region.
We want to start from the basic : the upgrade of hardware equipment.
It can solve the difficulty of the service maintaining of Mahas General Hospital , the only service provider in the area. We do three things:
1. Connecting the need and the equipment donators : In 2017, we linked the hospital with the local authorities,somalis in the other countries,
2. Crowdfund rising for the insufficient fund.
3. Monitoring the outcome of equipment upgradment and reporting to people .
Improving the quality of meternal health service for the Mahas District.
Activities» We will collect the shipping fee to send the equipment to the hospital for those mothers.
What success will look like
1. Physical records and electronic records of delivery sending and receiving.
2. The report for the actual usage of the equipment in the hospital.
1. Improving the quality of care for the complicated birth cases in the whole Mahas District.
2. Reducing the maternal mortality rate across the Mahas district.
3. Gaining more trust between local women and the hospital .
1. The risk of delivery failure due to the reject of the custom of somalia: For avoiding this, we contacted the related public sector to assist us for ensuring the equipment can be sent to the hospital.
2. The risk of no using the equipment in the hospital
We will report to the donor through the email about all the updates during the process.
Budget - Project Cost: £8,000Loading graph....
Amount Heading Description £8,000 Delivery Fee £ 4000 X 2 containers
Current Funding / Pledges
Source Amount HearWomen £4,000 Guaranteed
Mahas District : is located in the central Hiran region , as the most area of Somalia, given high levels of illiteracy and isolation, the level of knowledge about health risks related to pregnancy and childbirth are low and hardly informed by modern medical practices.
Mahas General Hospital is the local public hospital in the Mohas district. As the most of Somalia public health system, they are lack of financial supporting from the government, need to rely on the assistance from international
The women and new born children in the Mahas District, and the patients in the Mahas General Hospital.
For ten years, Hear Women have been mobilizing the Somali Diaspora in the UK to empower women back home. We want to support women to raise the leaders of tomorrow in healthy and happy environment.
We have a network of support actors and we work with Somali and British authoriteis. Because of this, we are well positioned to deliver our projects at minimum cost and high impact.
Read more about the Charity running this project.
The coordinator of this project.