Improving IT, & employability skills in S Africa
To bring IT, English, social & employment skills to an under-privileged area of SA, through regular IT lessons in schools, training in English language teaching for staff, in-school support & a pre-college course for school leavers. We have funded the first year & now seek money for 2nd yr's funds
January 2017 - December 2018
Charity information: Tyume Valley Schools (TVS)
- an apartheid era legacy in this old 'homeland' of poor educational provision/infrastructure/teacher training
- very poor educational outcomes; school certificate passes of 49% against 71% nationally
- absence of IT teaching/equipment, a problem throughout schools, and especially for those pupils going on to college or employment
- poor English language teaching in rural schools
- provide IT lessons to over 300 students in a dozen schools
- provide training to 6 teachers
- support one secondary schools in delivering pre-school cert intensive revision camp
- deliver a 2 week partly residential study camp for up to 20 students projected to pass their school cert
- train 4 volunteer assistants to teach a combination of English, IT, life skills, healthy living & employment skills such as writing cv's
- we are currently implementing yr 1 of the project successfully
- embed IT and English teaching & learning in Tyume Valley schools, in Eastern Cape, South Africa
Activities» - consult parents, schools & students on 2017 and 2018 programme content
» - prepare agreed programme & provide appropriate staff training
» - support local project manager & 1.2 IT training staff to deliver agreed lessons
» - put in place annual IT student testing and provide professional evaluation of English language teaching programme
- delivery of over 360 IT lessons each year
- year-end test results which show improvement on base-line testing
- 6 teachers more confident in delivering IT or language lessons
- maintain & upgrade IT equipment in schools & in our own resource lab & provide quality materials
Activities» - manage regular laptop etc maintenance programme & purchase replacements where necessary
» - provide high quality teaching materials for teachers undertaking our training programmes
» - provide one new IT lab in a school without one, or provide infrastructure/training for schools with laptops from elsewhere
- IT equipment which is up-to-date and fit for purpose
- fund and support 1 secondary schools to deliver 6-week pre-school certificate revision camps
Activities» - agree programmes with selected schools, monitor delivery & provide funds
- maintained or improved school cert results in schools/villages where we work, & especially where we support revision camps (the one school helped in 2015 had a 100% pass rate)
- deliver post-school cert 2-week course for up to 20 pupils able to continue to college/employment
Activities» - consult and plan course with students, schools & families
» - support staff in implementing, monitoring & evaluating course in November 2017 and November 2018
- high level of satisfaction among students taking our pre-college course
- 1 or 2 graduates of course willing to return following year to be volunteers
- good cv's produced
This project, along with our English & other residential and in school programmes, will continue to address deficiencies in local education provision. It will help to reduce the level of inequality between Tyume Valley students & those from more privileged & better funded areas/schools. We will demonstrate this by showing continued, if small, improved local school certificate results. We will obtain & evaluate feedback from schools, pupils and those students we prepare for college & work.
- our full-time trainer might resign/become unavailable. We are currently training an assistant.
- our equipment, including cars, laptops etc, might be stolen or damaged. We keep sufficient funds/insurance in hand to address this.
- currency fluctuations. We keep a careful balance of funds in both South Africa & the UK.
We provide quarterly newsletters to all individual supporters & donors. We provide regular reports to trusts which provide funds. We regularly update our web-site.
Budget - Project Cost: £18,000Loading graph....
Amount Heading Description £7,100 IT staff costs of 1.2 IT trainers delivering weekly lessons in schools £2,300 IT equipment cost of IT maintenance/replacement £3,000 Project management contribution towards project manager costs £2,200 Expenses car maintenance & staff & course expenses £3,400 Residential course costs contribution to in-school revision camps & cost of pre-college course at outward bound centre et
Current Funding / Pledges
Source Amount Regular donors £2,200 Guaranteed Make my Day Better £2,000 Guaranteed
Tyume Valley is a very poor area in an old 'homeland' of Eastern Cape. It has a 50% unemployment rate, & 61% are estimated to be illiterate. Infrastructure is poor with no tarred roads in the villages, no wi-fi & intermittent water & electricity. Housing & school buildings are very basic. There is no free health care except for certain infectious/chronic diseases. 11% are believed to have HIV with 30% of the population affected, ie mostly children & grandparents.
Over time most of the 35 small schools in the area benefit from our input. During our 2018 project, 300 IT pupils, 6 teachers, up to 20 pre-school cert students at in-school revision camps & up to 20 in our own post school cert camp for those going on to college/work will benefit directly from our project. More broadly many other students & communities will benefit from more modern teaching methods in schools & additional skills/income in villages.
We have successfully delivered a wide range of educational, sporting & cultural programmes in TV for the past 12 years. In schools & villages where we work there have in recent years been demonstrable benefits in improved school cert pass rates, either in %ages of those passing, or in overall numbers succeeding (ie when more children sit the exam). In 2015 the one school we helped with a revision camp had the only 100% pass rate in the wider Fort Beaufort education district.
Read more about the Charity running this project.
Vicky is our project manager in TV, overseeing all our programmes. She is a skilled & determined organiser with a successful 3-year track record.
She has been our very competent chief IT trainer for the past 6 yrs. We are currently helping her through a distance-learning teacher training course
Tyume Valley Schools Committee
The committee members have an exceptional range of teaching/education management/academic experience & visit TV regularly to oversee programmes.