Improving IT, & employability skills in S Africa
To bring IT, English, social & employment skills to an under-privileged area of SA, through regular IT lessons in schools, training in English language teaching for staff, in-school support & a pre-college course for school leavers. We can demonstrate a major impact on school certificate results.
January 2017 - December 2019
Charity information: Tyume Valley Schools (TVS)
- an apartheid era legacy in this old 'homeland' of poor educational provision/infrastructure/teacher training
- very poor educational outcomes; school certificate passes of 49% locally against 71% nationally (but now 70% in schools we work with)
- absence of IT teaching/equipment, a problem throughout schools, and especially for those pupils going on to college or employment
- poor English language teaching in rural schools
- provide IT/English lessons to approx 300 students in a dozen schools
- provide training to 6 teachers
- support one secondary schools in delivering pre-school cert intensive revision camp
- deliver a 2 week partly residential study camp for up to 20 students projected to pass their school cert
- train 4 volunteer assistants to teach a combination of English, IT, life skills, healthy living & employment skills such as writing cv's
- we are currently implementing yr 2 of the project successfully
- embed IT and English teaching & learning in Tyume Valley schools, in Eastern Cape, South Africa
Activities» - evaluate progress in years 1 and 2 of the project
» - prepare agreed programme & provide appropriate staff training for year 3
» - support local project manager & 1.2 IT/English training staff to deliver agreed lessons
What success will look like
- delivery of over 360 IT/Eng lessons each year
- continue to monitor rapidly improving results in our schools
- 6 teachers more confident in delivering IT/ language lesson
- maintain & upgrade IT equipment in schools & in our own resource lab & provide quality materials
Activities» - manage regular laptop etc maintenance programme & purchase replacements where necessary
» - provide high quality teaching materials for teachers undertaking our training programmes
What success will look like
- IT equipment which is up-to-date and fit for purpose
- provide 2 week pre-college/employment course for at least 20 school leavers
Activities» - consult with schools to select students likely to continue to college/employment; book 1 week at outward bound centre & 1 wk at local university
» - recruit appropriate UK teacher volunteers & local support staff; prepare materials and plan programme; set realistic targets for students
» - deliver 2 week programme; evaluate outcomes, inc ability to create CV, use Microsoft Word, make presentations, develop team work
What success will look like
- feedback from teachers, volunteers and students
- confirmed ability to produce CVs, work sheets, presentations
- some students returning following year as volunteers
This project will continue to address educational deficits in Tyume Valley. It will help to reduce the level of inequality between students in the 34 small and under-resourced schools in Tyume Valley & those from more privileged & better funded areas/schools. We will demonstrate this by showing continued improved local school certificate results (now 70% in our schools vs 56% elsewhere in the local education district). We will obtain & evaluate feedback from students & sta.ff
- our full-time trainer might resign/become unavailable. We are currently training an assistant.
- our equipment, including cars, laptops etc, might be stolen or damaged. We keep sufficient funds/insurance in hand to address this.
- currency fluctuations. We keep a careful balance of funds in both South Africa & the UK.
We provide regular newsletters to all individual supporters & donors. We provide reports to trusts which provide funds. We regularly update our web-site.
Budget - Project Cost: £24,000Loading graph....
Amount Heading Description £8,800 IT/Eng staff costs of 1.2 IT/Eng trainers delivering weekly lessons in schools £2,300 IT equipment cost of IT maintenance/replacement £5,000 Project management contribution towards project manager costs £2,800 Expenses car maintenance & staff & course expenses £5,100 Residential course costs cost of pre-college course at outward bound centre et
Current Funding / Pledges
Source Amount Regular donors £4,000 Guaranteed
Tyume Valley is a very poor area in an old 'homeland' of Eastern Cape. It has a 50% unemployment rate, & 61% are estimated to be illiterate. Infrastructure is poor with no tarred roads in the villages, no wi-fi & intermittent water & electricity. Housing & school buildings are very basic. There is no free health care except for certain infectious/chronic diseases. 11% are believed to have HIV with 30% of the population affected, ie mostly children & grandparents.
Over time most of the 34 small schools in the area benefit from our input. During our 2018 project, 300 pupils and 6 teachers will benefit directly from our project. More broadly many other students & communities will benefit from more modern teaching methods in schools & additional skills/income in villages.
We have successfully delivered a wide range of educational, sporting & cultural programmes in TV for the past 12 years. In schools & villages where we work there have in recent years been demonstrable benefits in improved school cert pass rates, both in %ages of those passing, or in overall numbers succeeding (ie when more children sit the exam). In 2015 the one school we helped with a revision camp had the only 100% pass rate in the wider Fort Beaufort education district.
Read more about the Charity running this project.
Vicky is our project manager in TV, overseeing all our programmes. She is a skilled & determined organiser with a successful 4-year track record.
She has been our very competent chief IT trainer for the past 7 yrs. We are currently helping her through a distance-learning teacher training course
Tyume Valley Schools Committee
The committee members have an exceptional range of teaching/education management/academic experience & visit TV regularly to oversee programmes.