We've moved!

This donation page is on the old Big Give website. Please go to theBigGive.org.uk to find current campaigns and opportunities to double your donation.

If you have any queries on the changes, please email us at info@thebiggive.org.uk.

Project information

Salugaba School

Comfort Rwanda & Congo is looking to build a new school in Salugaba, North Kivu, DRC. At present 173 children are crammed into a wooden shelter. The children come from the nearby refugee camps, as well as displaced pygmy children.

January 2016 - June 2016

Charity information: Comfort Rwanda & Congo

Comfort Rwanda & Congo logo
  • Need


    The area of of the project has been suffering from war and extreme poverty for many years. Close to a million people are living in refugee camps. The children of those refugees as well as ex-child soldiers and children of displaced pygmies and women fleeing sexual violence have neither access to nor funding for education. The project is designed to provide free or low cost education to hundreds of those children.


    The new Salugaba school will provide good quality classrooms and access to education for 600 children

  • Aims

    Aim 1

    Provide education accommodation for 600 children in Salugaba, Goma.


    » Build a School.

    What success will look like

    Future of the children and the local comunity.

    Aim 2

    Provide a socially caring environment for the vulnerable students.


    » Run the school in parallel with support from partners Comfort Congo, which has experience in supporting rape survivors, ex-child soldiers etc.

    What success will look like

    Future of the children and the local comunity.

  • Impact


    As soon as we start to build the school in the area of Salugaba (where just violence and poverty is seen) the community will be around it knowing that there is an investment in that area. The community will grow alongside the school with hope and education. 173 children will be educated and some new jobs are being placed (teachers). CRC will be monitoring the building and evaluating the teaching that will be provided at the school.


    .There is a risk of the area being overrun by rebel militias. This is a risk we are prepared to take in our pursuit of giving those children hope. There is also a risk of having difficulty funding teachers for the school but we are confident of help from our supporters to meet this need


    We will provide updates of the school building process, and a final report which will include a report on the building and the first intake of students

  • Budget

    Budget - Project Cost: £25,000

    Loading graph....
      Amount Heading Description
      £25,000 20% of the school cost. When we raise this 20%, the world Bank via the congo Central Bank will provide the other 80%.

    Current Funding / Pledges

    Source Amount
    Private individual £1,000 Guaranteed
  • Background


    Country: DR Congo
    City: Goma
    Area: Salugaba


    Children in Internally Displaced Zones of the Nyiragongo district near Goma.

  • Why Us?

    Why Us?

    Comfort Rwanda & Congo have being providing education to vulnerable children in Rwanda and D.R Congo since 1999. We have initiated five schools in the Goma area and successfully overseen a new school building project at Kyezye primary in 2014. We have a strong partnership with reliable and trustworthy local partners who are 'at the coalface' in terms of working with the most vulnerable and needy children of the area.

    Read more about the Charity running this project.


    Pedro Oliveira

    Volunteer fundraiser and charity worker

    Callum Henderson

    Charity Director


Child's school for a year in DR Congo