Education Access: HIV-affected Children in Uganda
Sky is the Limit cares for HIV/AIDS orphans/vulnerable children; providing accommodation to 45 resident children; the school provides an education to 360 resident & local vulnerable children. Local community run, this project urgently needs support to provide food, clothing, medicine & education.
January 2016 - December 2016
Ecologia Youth Trust
Over 30% of children in Uganda are stunted from malnutrition. Uganda has one of the highest rates of HIV/AIDS in the world (16% prevalence rate); 150,000 children live with the disease, 2,000,000+ children are orphans, 43% of them having lost parents to AIDS. Without a quality education, food, clothing & medication, these children have little hope for a better future. Sky is the Limit, with our support, is giving these children back their childhoods & providing them with the future they deserve.
Working with The Sky is the Limit Children’s Centre we:
• Provide children orphaned by or living with HIV/AIDs a safe and caring place to live
• Provide HIV+ children with the medical treatment and professional counselling they need.
• Provide quality education to resident children and vulnerable children from the surrounding community
• Provide clean and free water to children at the Centre and the school.
• Teach vocational and life skills to children and young people
We aim to enable these HIV-affected and vulnerable children to reach their full potential.
Activities» To maximize the impact of their education by providing children with a school lunch every day, increasing concentration span and school attendance.
• Increased Learning – Higher academic attainment
• Reduced Absenteeism – More children incentivised to come to school
• Health Improvement – higher levels of concentration, less “sick” time
• Weight Gain – previous school meal projects have shown that in 3 months children gain weight
• Improved Behaviour – reduction in disputes &children stealing from each other due to hunger and food jealousy
• Community Feeling – everyone eats together, respectful table manners are instilled and conversation encouraged
The key risk is that we may not raise enough funds to feed/provide school uniforms/books for all the children for a year, which will severely affect their ability to access education as well as their health. To minimise this risk we will continue to seek funding, alongside any funds raised from Big Give, to provide the support these children’s need.
We report back to our individual donors via newsletters, our website and social media and are very happy to provide information on request via telephone or email at any time. We prepare more detailed updates for charitable trusts and foundations, as well as our major donors.
Budget - Project Cost: £3,000Loading graph....
Amount Heading Description £3,000 School Meals Will feed 360 Children school meals for a year
Current Funding / Pledges
Source Amount Individual Donor £750 Guaranteed
The Sky is the Limit Centre is based in Fort Portal, Uganda; a rural area reliant on subsistence farming with one of the highest HIV/Aids prevalence rates in Uganda.
HIV/Aids-affected orphaned and vulnerable children aged 3-14 in the Fort Portal area, Uganda will be the beneficiaries of this project.
We have an ongoing partnership with The Sky is the Limit Centre and have previously funded several successful projects for the Centre, including school meals and primary school equipment.
Read more about the Charity running this project.
The Sky is the Limit Centre was started in 1996 by local health worker, Rose Mugenyi, in response to the plight of these most vulnerable children.
Pays for the whole school to eat for a month
My life has changed! I feel comfortable at school now lunch is provided! I play football with my friends, I have energy and I concentrate in class now