Project information

Crescent Kitchen

The big idea is for the our social enterprise, Crescent Kitchen is to generate income to help fund the other projects that take place at The Centre, making the organisation more self sustainable and becoming less dependent on grant funding.

Crescent Kitchen was established in March 2010 and is an ongoing project

Charity information: The Broomhouse Centre

The Broomhouse Centre logo
  • Need


    To support the local community of Broomhouse, one of the most deprived areas in Scotland.

    Broomhouse is in the worst 5% overall for Scotland with regard to employment, health, housing and income and in the worst 2% for education, skills and training (Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation)


    By running our outside catering business as a social enterprise all the profits made are reinvested back into The Broomhouse Centre to support our other ten projects. Furthermore, we hope to create an apprenticeship type programme within the catering business for young people (NEET group) to get training and work experience and help them move into employment.

  • Aims

    Aim 1

    To support all the work carried out at The Broomhouse Centre.


    » By reinvesting all the profits made by the catering business back into The Broomhouse Centre.

    What success will look like

    Success will be...reaching or exceeding our targets and reinvesting as much money back into the Centre as possible.

    Aim 2

    In the long term our aim is to provide the NEET category an apprenticeship programme within CK.


    » Create and run an apprenticeship programme to help the NEET category gain qualifications and work experience in a catering environment.

    What success will look like

    Success will putting a certain amount of young people through our apprenticeship programme and helping them move into further education or employment.

  • Impact


    The social enterprise will increase the amount of profit raised year on year and look to expand and move into other deprived areas within Scotland while continuing to run an apprenticeship programme for young people and increasing the amount of people completing the training.


    Risks that could affect our project include lack of funding, loss of key staff and failure of the business.

    We have dealt with these risks by putting in place certain procedures to deal with them should they occur.


    We keep monthly reports and these will be e-mailed to funders to keep them up to date.

  • Budget

    Budget - Project Cost: £30,971

    Loading graph....
      Amount Heading Description
      £27,971 BDM Salary Salary of the Business Development Manager
      £3,000 Marketing Budget to help promote the catering service
  • Background


    The Broomhouse Centre supports the local community of Broomhouse located in the South West of Edinburgh and is an area of severe social deprivation. Broomhouse is in the worst 5% overall for Scotland for employment, health, housing, and income and in the worst 2% for education, skills and training. Unemployment in the area is at 7% where as Edinburgh on average is 3%. (Scottish Index for Multiple Deprivation)


    CK is to be set up as a trading arm of The Broomhouse Centre meaning that all the projects in the Centre will benefit from the income generated.

    These projects support various client groups including local people and their families; elderly frail people; elderly people with dementia; young vulnerable people and their families; short and long term unemployed; prisoners preparing for release; adults with physical and learning difficulties and adults with mental health problems.

  • Why Us?

    Why Us?

    The Broomhouse Centre has been at the heart of the community for 20 years and has provided a vital support service to the various groups of disadvantaged people within the community.

    Read more about the Charity running this project.


    Marie Anderson

    Marie Anderson, Centre Manager has managed The Broomhouse Centre for 20 years and has proven track record of delivering successful projects.

    David Barclay

    David Barclay, BDM has developed the project for the last 18 months and has a lot of experience within sales and marketing.