To attempt to address many of the social problems facing young girls in their teenage years. These range from relationships to education, to avoiding promiscuity, alcohol, smoking etc. The sessions are delivered in a fun, engaging and interactive manner so the girls have a good time and open up.
August 2011 - August 2012
EMPOWER YOUTH ACADEMY
- social inequalities
- illicit relationships
- respect of parents
- respect of neighbours, community, friends
- alcohol abuse
- drug/smoking abuse
- not being taken advantage of
By inviting the girls to a monthly 3 hour session where various activities will address these problems. For example, one session may consist of a roleplay by the volunteers based on a real problem, such as alcohol binge drinking. The young girls will then form little groups and brainstorm roleplays based on real issues which may affect them. There will then be prizes and discussions based on the topic. Free food will also be provided.
- To address common problems affecting young adolescent girls
Activities» - As listed previously.
Success will be measured by a) feedback forms b) discussion with service users directly how they view the endemic ills the project is targeting c) discussion with parents.
- Allow youngsters to spend time together engaged in recreational activities.
Activities» - Monthly programme (as detailed previously)
Success will be as above.
The project will address some of the endemic problems of adolescents. We hope to reduce the rate of teenage pregnancies and abortions, alcohol bingeing, smoking. We will discuss the progress with parents, schools and most importantly with children to see if their attitudes towards these problems have been altered by the precious pearls project. Success will be measured with altered children views.
- Issues of abuse being revealed - All volunteers are trained in Safeguarding Children Policy, and how to deal with any matters. The organisation has an allocated Child Protection Worker.
- Volunteer contact with children - All volunteers are enhanced CRB checked.
- Poor levels of interest from students - ensure sessions are fun and interactive, offering treats and gifts.
- Difficulty marketing - Links with schools/local youth organisations.
- 3 monthly report detailing activities and financial update.
- Invite donors to sessions if they are willing to view firsthand our work.
- Access to our website containing pictures/videos from the sessions.
Budget - Project Cost: £3,600Loading graph....
Amount Heading Description £1,200 marketing Posters/flyers/website £1,200 Workshop X 12 All the resources including prizes for 12 sessions £1,200 Hall hire X 12 £100/session to hire a hall.
- Will be held at the MKA centre - a local community centre with a hall suitable to the needs of the event.
- local population
- young girls
- doctors - as health problems are tackled before they can develop e.g abortions, smoking etc.
- parents - their child will have a positive role model to aspire to.
We have access to many professionals from various fields who have been brought up in the area. Therefore they are able to relate to the youth, and help them tackle the same problems they encountered a few years ago. The volunteers have all done very well and attained higher education degrees, so will have plenty to offer as a holistic approach.
Read more about the Charity running this project.
Committee member and project lead. Very well liked and ability to relate to the kids on their level. Is often called a "big sister" in the community.