Room to Heal
Room to Heal
RtH is a healing community for people who have suffered torture and organised violence, helping them deal with their trauma, navigate the asylum process and rebuild their lives in exile in the UK.
Room to Heal is a healing community for refugees and asylum seekers who have survived torture and other forms of organised violence. Many of our members arrive at our door in a state of suicidal desperation, and as a result of torture and other forms of violence, have dissociated in order to survive. We aim to enable our members to heal from their traumatic experiences, find renewed meaning in life and integrate into the UK. We do this through a range of activities including: support groups, gardening and food-growing, individual therapy and casework, theatre and storytelling, cooking and social gatherings, and rural community-building retreats. Often people who join our community describe Room to Heal as a vital life-line which has enabled them to rediscover a hope and meaning in life that they felt they had lost forever
Room to Heal aims to:
- To raise awareness of the plight of this vulnerable and marginalized community amongst the wider public and policy makers.
- To sustain a healing community for torture survivors living in exile, supporting them in rebuilding their lives in the UK and helping them to navigate the asylum process.
- To address traumatic experiences and symptoms via support groups, individual counselling and body therapies and to facilitate members' ability to reconnect with themselves and the world around them.
- To enable people to find renewed meaning and enjoyment in life through a range of social activities and by encouraging interaction with local communities and integration into the wider UK society.
- To support people in educating themselves, in exercising their skills and in preparing for future employment as they forge new lives for themselves in the UK.
Established: January 2007
Registered Charity Number: 1128857
Board members: 7
Part time staff: 4
Phone number: 07739737960
Address: Mildmay Community Centre, Woodville Road, London, United Kingdom N16 8NAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Room to Heal Therapeutic ProgrammeWe believe in the power of community to heal trauma originating from unspeakable violence ... More