Room to Heal
Room to Heal
Room to Heal is a small UK registered human rights charity based in Islington, London. For more than a decade, we have supported asylum seekers and refugees fleeing torture and persecution overseas to rebuild their lives in exile and integrate into the UK. We help people who arrive in the UK having fled persecution, torture and indefinite detention at the hands of the state. We provide therapeutic support to help members overcome trauma, and practical casework assistance with seeking asylum.
Our mission is to help and protect the most vulnerable - those who have survived torture and organised violence – to assert their rights, rebuild their lives and contribute meaningfully to UK society. Our work has been recognised by the United Nations. We have been awarded ‘Charity of the Year’ by Comic Relief and our ‘impact’ recognised by Lloyds Foundation.
Room to Heal aims to:
- To raise awareness of the plight of this vulnerable and marginalized community amongst the wider public and policy makers.
- To sustain a healing community for torture survivors living in exile, supporting them in rebuilding their lives in the UK and helping them to navigate the asylum process.
- To address traumatic experiences and symptoms via support groups, individual counselling and physical therapies, and to facilitate members' ability to reconnect with themselves and the world
- To enable people to find renewed meaning and enjoyment in life through a range of social activities, and by encouraging interaction with local communities and integration into wider UK society.
- To support people in educating themselves, in exercising their skills, broadening their horizons to learn new ones, and preparing for future employment as they forge new lives for themselves in the UK
Established: January 2007
Registered Charity Number: 1128857
Board members: 7
Part time staff: 4
Phone number: 07739737960
Address: Mildmay Community Centre, Woodville Road, London, United Kingdom N16 8NAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website