The Kindu Trust
The Kindu Trust
The Kindu Trust is a small charity working in northern Ethiopia that supports children and young adults through sponsorship, educational support projects and income generating activities, to bring an improvement to their lives and future.
The Kindu Trust’s mission is to create economically independent, healthier and productive communities in Ethiopia. To achieve this mission, The Kindu Trust runs a number of projects that tackle the underlying causes of poverty.
The Kindu Trust's community development work reaches over 380 families across Ethiopia; and enables the child and their families to access the following essentials:
* Obtain food, fuel and shelter.
* Access health clinics and medicine for the family.
* Enrol into formal education and vocational training.
* Provide peer support for families living with HIV through coffee mornings.
* Develop small businesses and other income generation activities.
* Home & community improvements: water and electricity installation, community biogas sanitation projects, and energy conservation.
The Kindu Klub youth group, and the Play Group, provide children in Gondar with a place to learn and a safe environment for play outside of school hours. The library provides resources to ensure the children are able to complete their homework, use computers, and weekly sports club promotes physical exercise and team work.
The rationale behind our approach is to support the family and community to become economically independent, healthier and productive citizens.
The Kindu Trust aims to:
- To ensure that no family supported by The Kindu Trust suffers from malnutrition, through a monthly direct payment scheme and regular medical checkups Success measured by medical data and home visits
- To provide relatives of The Kindu Trust beneficiaries employment opportunities through income generating activities and training programmes Success measured on proportion in employment
- To ensure our beneficiaries attain a comprehensive education, through education support services offered by The Kindu Trust youth groups. Success will be measured by analysis of graduation numbers
Established: March 1998
Registered Charity Number: 1069574
Board members: 4
Full time staff: 15
Part time staff: 3
Phone number: 07956 532 067
Address: Peel Centre, Percy Circus, London, WC1X 9EYView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website