Spitalfields Music is a charity based in Tower Hamlets, running two festivals a year and a year-round Learning & Participation Programme. Through our activities, we reach 20,000 people a year.
We create live music experiences in Spitalfields through performances, learning and participation in a unique and diverse part of London. Everything we do is inspired by the spirit of the area, its people and their global and local influences.
- Are aged 2 days old to 90 years
- The largest ethnic groups in our participants are 64% Asian Bangladeshi, 16% White British and 6% Black Caribbean
- 15% of the pupils involved in the learning programme are regarded as having special education needs
- The schools in the immediate vicinity of Spitalfields have on average over 50% of pupils eligible for free school meals
- 90-100% of our participants have English as an additional language
All of this is done in partnership with other organisations and at a grass-roots level in Tower Hamlets.
Spitalfields Music aims to:
- Make year-round learning and participation projects with the people of Tower Hamlets which encourage aspiration, skill and cultural exchange
- Engage with, and contribute positively to the lives of those within the community through music
- Be a catalyst and collaborator in music in Spitalfields and Tower Hamlets
- Discover and nurture talent, commission new work and work with living artists
- Produce music festivals for locally based people and visitors to the area, programming in a way which takes artistic risk and offers something new to audiences and participants
Established: January 1976
Registered Charity Number: 1052043
Board members: 11
Full time staff: 11
Part time staff: 4
Phone number: 020 7377 0287
Address: 61 Brushfield StreetLondon E1 6AAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Creative Music in Neighbourhood SchoolsAn innovative series of creative music projects in six mainstream and special educational ... More