Spitalfields Music is a charity based in Tower Hamlets, running two festivals a year and a year-round Learning & Participation Programme. Through our activities, we reach 20,000 people a year.
We create live music experiences in Spitalfields through performances, learning and participation in a unique and diverse part of London. Everything we do is inspired by the spirit of the area, its people and their global and local influences.
- Are aged 2 days old to 90 years
- The largest ethnic groups in our participants are 64% Asian Bangladeshi, 16% White British and 6% Black Caribbean
- 15% of the pupils involved in the learning programme are regarded as having special education needs
- The schools in the immediate vicinity of Spitalfields have on average over 50% of pupils eligible for free school meals
- 90-100% of our participants have English as an additional language
All of this is done in partnership with other organisations and at a grass-roots level in Tower Hamlets.
Spitalfields Music aims to:
- Make year-round learning and participation projects with the people of Tower Hamlets which encourage aspiration, skill and cultural exchange
- Engage with, and contribute positively to the lives of those within the community through music
- Be a catalyst and collaborator in music in Spitalfields and Tower Hamlets
- Discover and nurture talent, commission new work and work with living artists
- Produce music festivals for locally based people and visitors to the area, programming in a way which takes artistic risk and offers something new to audiences and participants
Established: January 1976
Registered Charity Number: 1052043
Board members: 11
Full time staff: 11
Part time staff: 4
Phone number: 020 7377 0287
Address: 61 Brushfield Street London E1 6AAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Creative Music in Neighbourhood SchoolsAn innovative series of creative music projects in six mainstream and special educational ... More