Equality Now is an international human rights charity dedicated to ending violence and discrimination against women and girls around the world. Our vision is a world in which women and men have equal rights under the law and full enjoyment of their human rights.
The UN estimates that 1 in 3 women has been beaten, coerced into sex, or abused in her lifetime. This abuse includes rape, sexual abuse, forced marriage and female genital mutilation (FGM) - over 130 million girls and women worldwide are living with the consequences of FGM alone. Violence and discrimination also stop girls and women from fulfilling their full potential which means they are less able to live their lives on equal terms and so the cycle continues.
Equality Now’s vision is a safer and brighter future in which there is no violence and discrimination against women and girls in the world
At Equality Now we believe everyone can make a difference and that together we can achieve concrete change to enhance the lives of women and girls everywhere. We are an international human rights charity working to protect and promote the rights of women and girls around the world through the mobilisation of public pressure. We distribute information on human rights violations, along with recommended actions for publicising and protesting them, from letter-writing campaigns and petitions to social and media networking. Raising public awareness is the first step to stopping an abuse and we work with our 35,000 organisational and individual members in over 160 countries and other partners worldwide to channel advocacy for human rights for women.
Our programmes cover discrimination in law; FGM; trafficking in women; and sexual violence. Some of our recent successful campaigns include:
• Creation at the UN’s Human Rights Council of a new mechanism to focus on ending discrimination against women worldwide
• As part of our work to end legal discrimination against women in Iran, helping stop a woman being executed in Iran after she was sentenced to death by stoning
• Galvanising local support and encouraging the Ugandan Inspector of Police to act to save girls from FGM during the mutilation season. This action saved over a 100 girls in December 2010 and more than 20 arrests were also made. This sent a clear message that FGM will not be tolerated
• Mobilising public action and helping to overturn the 2010 policy of the American Academy of Pediatrics promoting the "nicking" of girls' genitalia to families wishing to subject their daughters to FGM
• Assisting Suheir El-Azzouni with her successful case against sexual discrimination as part of our efforts to promote reform of the United Nations internal justice system
• Campaigning for the prosecution of US sex tourists who exploit the desperation and vulnerability of girls and women; as well as building a strong coalition of anti-trafficking groups, many survivor-led, to advocate to end sex trafficking around the world
• Supporting a legal case which resulted in a landmark court ruling in favour of a 13 year old schoolgirl raped by her teacher in Zambia; and partnering with civil society groups in Zambia to develop guidelines with the Ministry of Education to address sexual violence against girls within the school system in order to ensure that girls are properly protected against rape by school officials
Our current campaigns include:
• Call for equal citizenship rights for women in Lebanon
• Call for legal protection of girls and women in Liberia from FGM
• Call for an end to the exploitation and abuse of girls in domestic slavery in Pakistan
• Call for an end to early marriage in Yemen where many girls are married at the ages of 11 and 12; and to have a legal minimum age of marriage
Please join us. Together we can work to protect the human rights of women and girls and promote an equal and fair world for the benefit of all.
Equality Now aims to:
- work for the protection and promotion of the human rights of women and girls around the world.
Established: October 2003
Registered Charity Number: 1107613
Full time staff: 5
Phone number: 0207 304 6902
Address: Equality Now 1 Birdcage Walk London SW1H 9JJView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website