The YMCA in Slough is part of a world-wide Christian movement whose central aim is to promote the active involvement of young people in society, regardless of their gender, race, ability, faith or sexual orientation, and the development of healthy, sustainable communities.
Since 1991, the YMCA in Slough has provided supported accommodation for vulnerable young people between the ages of 18 and 30 with the aim of helping them through their toughest times which will hopefully lead them to independent living. The organisation provides affordable supported housing for young people who are homeless, seeking asylum or recently released from prison; good quality and affordable services for children and families including holiday play schemes, after-school clubs and breakfast clubs; and community development opportunities for people of all ages through different training and community facilities.
From June 2010, through our community hub, “The Hangout”, we try to foster a greater sense of community cohesion by bringing members of the local community together in one venue regardless of their ethnicity, gender, faith or background. Current activities and services offered at The Hangout include homework clubs, access to computers/internet, sporting and creative opportunities and coffee mornings / social events for elderly, single mothers and other groups. The space is also used as a venue for community meetings.
In all of this we are helping young people, often from vulnerable and excluded backgrounds to belong, contribute and thrive within their communities.
The YMCA in Slough is part of a world-wide Christian movement whose central aim is to promote the active involvement of young people in society and the development of healthy, sustainable communities.
Our values come directly from our Christian basis and are part of our distinctive approach. We aim to reflect them in all our activities, policies and working relationships.
Young people are empowered to play a vital role in shaping their lives and the communities around them.
• We recognise the unique energy and capabilities of young people and seek to give them a voice, champion their rights and empower them to fulfil their potential.
• To operate to the highest standards ethically and professionally.
• To be a caring community who overtly seeks to fulfil the Christian aims and purposes of the YMCA.
• To respond professionally and sensitively to the need of young people.
• To provide a meeting place with a warm welcome.
• To live peacefully in and contribute positively to a multi-cultural society.
• To help people to develop their own spiritual strengths.
• To be innovative in outlook and in meeting the needs of the community.
• To provide opportunities for growth to develop skills and confidence.
• To increase awareness of other aspects of the YMCA, regionally, nationally and internationally.
Slough YMCA aims to:
- Via our Hangout, to offer a safe place to meet, greet, learn, improve community cohesion.Foster relationships between children of all backgrounds, and an improved feeling of safety for our residents
Established: October 1991
Registered Charity Number: 1002442
Board members: 7
Full time staff: 5
Part time staff: 6
Phone number: 01753810741
Address: 30 Ladbrooke Road Slough Berkshire SL1 2SRView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
SLOUGH YMCA "THE HANGOUT"To foster good relationships between a multi cultural and transient population, by way of ... More