Black Country Foodbank
Black Country Foodbank
3 days nutritionally balanced food for the crisis, the blip, the emergency...
Access to toiletries, clothing, bedding, furniture and household items without predjudice or condemnation.
Black Country Foodbank helps vulnerable individuals and families in crisis through the provision of 3 days emergency food supplies while a long-term solution is developed. The services we provide have an enormous impact on the people who use them, giving them an important breathing space at a time of great need.
We issue food vouchers to local organisations that encounter people in hardship. The people (clients) then come to one of our local distribution points (currently 8 in Dudley, 1 in birmingham & 2 in Walsall) where they exchange their voucher for the food.
We help anybody who needs our support; young, old, single people and families from all backgrounds, religious beliefs and ethnic origins, without prejudice.
At the distribution point the individual or family is offered a drink and chat with the project team whilst their food is packed into bags. They may also be offered help in finding other professionals who can assist them out of their crisis.
During 2011 we fed 6915 people via our voucher system and nearly 2000 more via other food projects we work closely with across the area.
Black Country Foodbank aims to:
- to signpost service users to other agencies appropriate to their needs i.e. Citizens Advice Bureau, housing department, social services, age concern, sure start, probation service, community projects.
- to work with statutory service providers who will be able to refer people for a maximum of three vouchers (there will be exceptions to this, cases to be negotiated on an individual basis)
- to provide three days nutritionally balanced emergency food-aid for people in crisis identified and referred by frontline voucher distributors
- to provide a hot drink, preferably a meal as well, and an opportunity to talk with a listening ear in a comfortable setting.
- We would, subject to resources, really like to offer each of our clients budget coaching and access to fulfilling work programmes, so that where possible they could gain paid employment.
Established: June 2006
Registered Charity Number: 1136676
Board members: 5
Part time staff: 2
Phone number: 0121 448 8184
Address: Black Country Foodbank 21 Albion St Brierley Hill West Midlands DY5 3EEView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website