Tiny Tickers is a small national charity that works to improve detection rates, care and treatment of congenital heart defects in babies.
As many as 1 in every 125 babies in the UK has a congenital heart defect. Only one third of major heart defects are spotted during pregnancy, and another third are picked up in standard newborn hospital tests.
Terrifyingly, that means around 1,000 newborns are sent home from hospital every year in the UK with no one realising they are suffering a potentially life-threatening condition.
When CHD is detected during pregnancy, babies get treatment from the first possible moment – and early detection is shown to greatly improve their chance of survival and long-term quality of life, and lowers the risk of side-effects of heart failure such as brain damage.
Early detection also means that parents-to-be can get the support they need to prepare them for the future; it means fewer dangerous and costly emergency admissions to hospital, fewer cancelled planned operations because of emergency admissions, and less strain on emergency transport services.
Tiny Tickers provides specialist training to health professionals and sonographers so they are better equipped to identify a heart defect during a pregnancy scan. We support parents and families dealing with a diagnosis, and we raise awareness of heart defects in babies so that parents know what signs to look out for.
Tiny Tickers wants all babies to have the best possible start in their fight against CHD – and we are so grateful to have your support in helping us on that mission.
Tiny Tickers aims to:
- We provide specialist, on-site training in maternity hospitals to sonographers and health professionals who perform pregnancy scans so they are better equipped to detect heart problems in babies.
- Raise awareness of CHD which is the most common birth defect in the UK, but people know less about it than Down’s Syndrome, cleft lip and spina bifida.
- Support families and carers who are dealing with a diagnosis of CHD through information, materials and peer-to-peer support. This includes the production of a New Diagnosis pack for families.
- Fund innovative research projects into the causes of CHD and how we can better detect it.
- Lobby to improve standards of detection and care for babies with CHD. This includes standardised annual refresher training for sonographers.
Established: November 1999
Registered Charity Number: 1078114
Board members: 7
Part time staff: 4
Phone number: 03001021508
Address: 76 Chiswick Lane W4 2LAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Champions for Babies with Congenital Heart DiseaseTiny Tickers aims to improve the care of babies with congenital heart disease (CHD) before... More