Active8 supports young people with physical disabilities in Cornwall, running youth projects which inspire their participants to do more than they ever expected they could..
Active8 projects aim to empower and motivate young people with physical disabilities in Cornwall to become autonomous individuals by developing their skills, confidence, support structures and aspirations.
We support Active8 members to challenge the status quo and be a catalyst for improvement in the quality of life of young individuals and our community.
We believe it is possible to run events where all participants can play a full part, and that young people who need some help can learn to take responsibility for how they use it, making their own decisions. We work to develop friendships, leadership skills, independence and confidence: first through two years of residential weekends, then through three other youth groups spanning the transition to adult life.
Active8 aims to:
- Enable young people with physical disabilities to become confident adults who live full lives and contribute to their community.
- Young people with physical disabilities attempt challenging new activities, with good risk assessment and planning so that they can all achieve and enjoy.
- Develop mutual support in a rural county with inaccessible transport. Young people encourage others, using social networking to participate in joint planning of their own projects.
- Increase participants' independence and capability: help their parents to maintain this and encourage them. Communicate well with young people and parents about judging risk for themselves.
- Involve young people with disabilities in developing the services that affect their lives. Young people's communication skills improve along with their confidence.
Established: October 1990
Registered Charity Number: 1163942
Board members: 10
Part time staff: 3
Phone number: 01872 530515
Address: Porters Tregony Truro Cornwall TR2 5THView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website