Accessible Arts & Media
Accessible Arts & Media
Accessible Arts & Media have been running arts and creative media learning projects in and around York since 1982. We believe that everyone can learn, everyone can be creative and everyone can play a part in their local community. They just need the right support, and that’s where we come in.
We run a vibrant range of accessible, inclusive, high-quality and affordable projects, from singing and signing choirs and sensory movement sessions to art groups and media training programmes. Our user-led projects help people to gain the confidence and control to have more of a say in the things that matter to them.
We work with disabled young people and adults, older people, mental health service users and community groups in York and North Yorkshire. You’ll find us delivering workshops in schools, businesses and community centres and putting smiles in hearts by performing in venues from concert halls to our local supermarket. We make sure our work, knowledge and expertise have a wider impact through strong local, regional and national networks and partnerships and the creation of learning resources.
Camaraderie, collaboration and community spirit are at the heart of everything we do. We bring our own brand of humour and a lively sense of fun to the serious business of supporting our participants to achieve their aspirations.
We’re experts in creating a caring environment where everyone’s supported to take part in the way that suits them best. It’s a space where you can be yourself. Our projects push boundaries and challenge stereotypes by providing tailored opportunities for personal development and learning.
Accessible Arts & Media aims to:
- To support people who might otherwise feel excluded to connect with and contribute to their local community.
- To support people to develop the confidence and control to have more of a say in the things that matter to them.
- To provide fun, person-centred opportunities for progression, development and learning to people who might not otherwise engage in learning.
- To promote positive models of disability and inclusion and raise awareness of difference and diversity.
- To reach and influence audiences and policy makers and enrich the cultural life of the city and beyond.
Established: January 1998
Registered Charity Number: 1072902
Board members: 6
Full time staff: 3
Part time staff: 7
Phone number: 01904 626965
Address: Room 3 Burton Stone Community Centre Evelyn Crescent York YO30 6DRView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website