Northern Refugee Centre
Northern Refugee Centre
Northern Refugee Centre (NRC) promotes the welfare of refugees, asylum seekers and vulnerable economic migrants across Yorkshire and Humber. NRC provides advice, assistance and support to refugees and asylum seekers through a number of projects.
The organisation is considered to be a leading organisation in its service delivery. It acts as a ‘centre of expertise’ that is called upon by other agencies who work with refugees, asylum seekers and migrants (Citizens Advice Bureaus for example) and provides an ‘enabling’ role for a number of smaller VCS agencies, sharing good practice on governance, financial systems, peer support for chief officers and so on.
NRC's services include:
- A free Advice Service that provides independent, impartial and confidential information for refugees and asylum seekers on housing, welfare and health. NRC specialises in advice to individuals at the time of receiving their Home Office decision when they need to leave NASS support and move into mainstream services.
- An Employment and Education Programme that: encourages the social and economic integration of refugees, integrates refugees into the labour market, assists with vocational training and the acquisition of recognised qualifications and diplomas.
- A Mentoring and Befriending scheme supporting vulnerable refugees and asylum seekers suffering from mental health difficulties such as depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder. It is the only befriending scheme in South Yorkshire specifically for refugees and asylum seekers.
- The convening of four Refugee Community Forums throughout Yorkshire and Humber, providing platforms for refugee community organisations to have a strategic voice in the region and to help deliver and develop services. Low profile and lack of representation at strategic levels around the region often result in new migrant needs remaining unknown and unmet.
- A Refugee Women’s Development Project that supports vulnerable women locally by coordinating refugee women advocate volunteers to deliver outreach work. The project develops initiatives, services and campaigns on issues and policies that affect vulnerable women and led on putting together a minimum regional standard for working with vulnerable refugee women.
Registered Charity Number: 1078816
Phone number: 0114 241 2780View charity accounts on the Charity Commission website