Water for Africa
Water for Africa
Water for Africa is a UK based charity which has developed a successful model in providing communities in with water, sanitation and health provision for the long-term and proven to be sustainable.
Our aims are simple
To provide a clean, safe 'Water' source for health.
To provide a sustainable 'Water' source for horticulture and agriculture.
The model has to work permanently within Africa by training teams of local people, who work long-term with communities.
We pride ourselves on providing full support through fiscal budgetary management and support from the UK. We drill only boreholes and not open wells. This provides the community with a water system, which is:
Safe: Reduces the risk of cross contamination with livestock and prevents the threat of children and falling into the well.
Sustainable: The borehole reaches the deeper aquifers, which does not diminish in the ‘dry season’ and provides the community with a continuous, high yielding water source.
Upgradable: The borehole can upgraded from a hand-pump, to a fully integrated irrigation system.
Joint cooperation and agreement with the community to ring-fence community contributions to ensure funding for future repairs, service and upgrades is always put in place and a long-term follow up programme to monitor and evaluate the impact of the new programme on the community.
Being based locally and permanently within Africa, has enabled us to provide a permanent level of support and service to the communities we work with, We can assist with major repairs and spare part replacements, after the work has been completed. With over 60% of water sources now failing across Africa, a new model is urgently needed.
Water for Africa aims to:
- To train a team of local specialists within Africa, to enhance their skills, education and career opportunities.
- To provide our donors with transparency, value for money and the opportunity to experience the joy of giving and making a true, significant difference in the lives of others.
- To provide a long-term, safe supply of water through the provision of 'drilling boreholes', to enable communities to have access to clean drinking water and water for horticulture and agriculture
- To provide communities with a sustainable, long-term water supply and service to help the community to support their water source and provide access to repairs, upgrades and maintenance.
- To provide safe, sustainable water, sanitation and health services to communities across Africa suffering from endemic poverty
Established: September 2003
Registered Charity Number: 1113268
Board members: 3
Full time staff: 7
Phone number: 01782 593289
Address: 161-163 Uttoxeter Road Longton Staffordshire ST3 1QQView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Sustainable Water for AfricaThe provision of 10 boreholes to communities across The Gambia for the provision of water ... More