Girls Friendly Society
Girls Friendly Society
GFS Platform supports hard-to-reach girls and young women aged from 11 - 25 who are pregnant, have children or are excluded from mainstream society. We work in deprived areas with high unemployment.
GFS Platform provides support, information and training for girls, young women and young mothers up to 25. Three community projects work with clients and 34 youth work branches provide out of school activities for girls from 6 – 25. A supported house in Gt. Yarmouth can accommodate up to 10 young women and their babies supporting them in moving back to independent living. All the projects are situated in areas of high deprivation with significant unemployment and levels of child poverty. We have adopted the ‘Hear by Right’ framework to ensure all clients have a voice and we encourage client involvement across the organisation. A Youth Committee was recently formed to enable regular communication between clients and the Trustees. All activities and training are based on client need and they feed back regularly with suggestions for new sessions or improvements. Each client has an individual action plan devised with their support worker so they receive support crucial to them such as sexual health or parenting; many clients have poor parenting skills. Clients enjoy healthy eating/cooking sessions and start to cook properly for their children, and at the same time start to really bond with them and play with them more. Children have a crèche and can play and interact with their peers; something many have been unable to do due to limited resources or their mother’s depression. Coming to the projects is the first step in turning clients lives and their children's lives around.
Girls Friendly Society aims to:
- 'Improving the organisational structure’ We will streamline our organisational structure to make it more effective and efficient, and ensure a better service for all girls and young women.
- ‘Increase the number of clients’ We will strengthen our project and branch base, building up existing and introducing new resources where they are most needed, and where we can reach more young women.
- ‘Raising the profile’ Improve communication via the website and sociasl networking to create a robust external communications strategy to support our year three business plan and increase our reach.
- ‘Increase and diversify income streams’ Develop a new donor strategy to encourage supporters to give regularly and to increase unrestricted funds and therefore create a bigger supporter database.
- 'Sustainable infrastructure’ Ensure our working practice is safe, consistent and supports improvement. we will invest in staff and volunteer training; policies and procedures and adequate resource.
Established: April 1996
Registered Charity Number: 1054310
Board members: 12
Full time staff: 30
Part time staff: 37
Phone number: 020 7520 1795
Address: GFS Platform Unit 2, Angel Gate 326 City Road London EC1V 2PTView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website