Docklands Sinfonia is a young and pioneering symphony orchestra, which aims to be a major cultural force in East London’s Docklands and beyond. Founded and conducted by Spencer Down, the orchestra is firmly grounded in its community and reflects the spirit of the Docklands - respectful of the past, innovating for the future and inspiring generations to come. An important part of our charitable work is to introduce young people to orchestral music and the joy of playing a musical instrument.
Vision Statement: To be a cultural force in The Docklands and beyond.
Mission: Reflecting the spirit, old and new of the Docklands – respectful of the past, innovating for the future and inspiring generations to come.
• Grounded – Founded by conductor Spencer Down, the grandson of a docker, we are the only symphony orchestra in the Docklands and are firmly grounded in our community.
• Pioneering – We challenge accepted orthodoxies through our innovative programming and collaborations by programming at least one new work at every community concert.
• Inspirational – We are passionate about inspiring future Docklands generations through high-quality live classical music.
• Collaborative – We believe passionately in working with others to create the best and most innovative performances we can to reach new audiences and communities.
• Positive – We believe in a ‘can do and will do’ philosophy enabling us to seize opportunities when they arise.
• To increase our profile in the area so we are known as THE orchestra for the Docklands.
• To inspire local children in the Docklands to enjoy classical music and to take up playing classical instruments.
• To create a Youth Orchestra for the Docklands.
• To increase revenue to support our work in the community and payment of players by developing a business model for children’s concerts around the M25.
• To create a fully professional symphony orchestra based in a high-quality concert venue.
Docklands Sinfonia aims to:
- To develop our educational project in partnership with local schools and music hubs to double the number of Docklands children reached in the next five years to 8,000.
- To increase the number of concerts/performances within our community to 10 within the next two years.
- To double the number of paid opportunities for our young musicians and the number of high-profile performances to provide increased career opportunities within the next two years.
Established: January 2009
Registered Charity Number: 1147781
Board members: 6
Phone number: 02081418020
Address: 7 Kearton Close CR8 5ENView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website