Durham Cathedral is one of the world's architectural treasures; a UNESCO World Heritage Site which has been a place of pilgrimage for 1,000 years and today welcomes over 750,000 visitors each year. The magnificent Romanesque Cathedral not only provides the unique setting for the many services, events and activities that take place daily within its walls, but it also inspires them.
To worship God, share the gospel of Jesus Christ, welcome all who come, celebrate and pass on our rich Christian heritage, and discover our place in God's creation.
Durham Cathedral aims to:
- Worship and Spirituality. We worship God through daily prayer and praise, and celebrate the contributions of music and art to the spiritual life of the Cathedral.
- Welcome and Care We welcome all who cross our threshold and express Christian care in all aspects of our life as a community.
- Learning, Nurture and Formation We help people to encounter God and grow in faith and discipleship by offering opportunities for dialogue, learning and research.
- Outreach and Engagement We work in active partnerships for the good of the Diocese and the communities of North East England and to contribute to Durham's flourishing and significance.
- Buildings, Treasures and Environment We conserve, develop and interpret our buildings, environment and historic collections, while respecting the Church as a place of prayer.
Established: September 2007
Board members: 10
Full time staff: 50
Part time staff: 90
Phone number: 01913744055
Address: durham cathedral office dh1 3eh
Foundation 2020The financial and operational challenges of maintaining such a unique site are very signif... More