Dramatic Need is a creative arts charity helping vulnerable children in South Africa and Rwanda to build hope and self-belief in the face of conflict, trauma and hardship.
Dramatic Need is a creative arts charity helping vulnerable children in Africa to build hope and self-belief in the face of conflict, trauma and hardship. Alongside permanent and regular arts programming hosted at dedicated arts centres, Dramatic Need sends local and international arts professionals to host issue-based workshops in underprivileged and rural communities in South Africa. The charity promotes creative expression as a tool for conflict resolution, social development, gender empowerment and the assimilation of health messages in underprivileged communities.
We aim to imbue young people in rural and poorly served communities with increased confidence, diverse creative skills and visual literacy, an awareness of personal and mental health, strong communication skills and an active engagement with formal education.
Dramatic Need aims to:
- Development in young people of personal confidence, self-belief, emotional resilience and drive; leading to the ability to confront and overcome trauma and difficult circumstances.
- Provide young people with practical creative skills and visual literacy, as well as an understanding of a national creative and cultural heritage within the international cultural landscape.
- Promote information on health, leading t an understanding of health risks and social issues affecting the community, knowledge of sexual health and the ability to communicate this knowledge.
- Develop productive communication, both via artistic mediums and open discourse, with family, community and friends; particularly in regards to health, sexuality, violence.
- Provide a creative approach to problem solving with an enthusiasm for academic and personal development, engagement with education, and a view to developing long-term meaningful job prospects.
Established: June 2007
Registered Charity Number: 1119443
Board members: 10
Full time staff: 3
Part time staff: 2
Phone number: 07983516936
Address: 80 Victoria Road NW6 6QAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website