Samaritans of Tyneside
Samaritans of Tyneside
Samaritans of Tyneside is part of the main Samaritans charity and covers Newcastle, Gateshead, North Tyneside and south-west Northumberland for its community work. The Tyneside Branch contributes to the national free-call phone number, emails and text message contacts as well as working in our local community under the banner of visiting schools, colleges, universities as well as voluntary sector organisations. The branch is run by volunteers contributing to a 24/7 service emotional support.
Samaritans Vision is that fewer people die by suicide
We work to achieve this Vision by making it our Mission to alleviate emotional distress and reduce the incidence of suicide feelings and suicidal behaviour.
We do this by:
• Being available 24 hours a day to provide emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of emotional distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide
• Reaching out to high risk groups and communities to reduce the risk of suicide
• Working in partnership with other organisations, agencies and experts to achieve our Vision
• Influencing public policy and raising awareness of the challenges of reducing suicide
We are committed to the following Values:
• Listening, because exploring feelings alleviates distress and helps people to reach a better understanding of their situation and the options open to them
• Confidentiality, because if people feel safe, they are more likely to be open about their feelings
• People making their own decisions wherever possible, because we believe that people have the right to find their own solution and telling people what to do takes responsibility away from them
• Being non-judgemental, because we want people to be able to talk to us without fear of prejudice or rejection
• Human contact, because giving people time, undivided attention and empathy meets a fundamental emotional need and reduces distress and despair.
Samaritans of Tyneside aims to:
- To alleviate emotional distress and reduce the incidences of suicidal feelings and suicidal behaviour.
- To provide a 24/7 service via phone, email and SMS giving support to people in emotional distress in times of great need.
- To work in the local community to raise awareness of emotional stress and the links to suicidal feelings and behaviour
- To train and support volunteers in the skills of active listening and giving emotional support to all our callers via phone, email, text messages and face-to-face contacts.
Established: April 1965
Registered Charity Number: 219432
Board members: 10
Part time staff: 2
Phone number: 07792566344
Address: 15 Portland Terrace, Jesmond NE2 1QQView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website