Barnsley Hospice first opened its doors in 1994 and since then has provided specialist palliative care for local people with a life-limiting illness and supported those close to them. The charity serves the town’s 235,000 residents and is open around the clock every day of the year. This vital service is provided completely free of charge and the Hospice relies heavily on donations to help towards annual running costs and the purchase of new equipment as necessary.
The aim of Barnsley Hospice is to provide specialist palliative care for patients and support those close to them.
The vision is to be the first choice for patients, referrers and customers of all of our services, to provide more services to more people and to be regarded as one of the best hospices in England.
Our values are to ensure that patients, their families and those close to them are at the centre of all activities and are cared for and supported in safe and comfortable surroundings. We provide the highest standard of care by responding to individual needs, supporting choice and independence. By doing meaningful work we make all patients and those close to them feel valued. Each person is be treated as an individual and given empathy and respect. We are passionate about getting it right in an effective efficient and financially sustainable way.
Barnsley Hospice aims to:
- To provide personalised specialist palliative care in a multidisciplinary environment that reflects patient needs, irrespective of diagnosis, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion or ethnicity.
- To provide an extensive and flexible range of holistic services appropriate to the needs of patients and those close to them and to enable patients and those close to them to make informed decisions.
- To work closely and effectively with the primary and acute healthcare sectors to ensure seamless and integrated care.
- The following services are among those provided in a 10 bed Inpatient Unit and Day Therapy Unit: pain and symptom control, end of life care, complementary therapies, emotional and practical support.
- To disseminate palliative care expertise, through education and training and to provide comprehensive advice and signposting to patients, families, carers and other health care professionals.
Established: July 1988
Registered Charity Number: 700586
Board members: 7
Full time staff: 34
Part time staff: 75
Phone number: 01226 244244
Address: Church Street, Gawber, Barnsley S752RLView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Patient Rooms Refurbishment at Barnsley HospiceThe refurbishment of ten inpatient rooms at Barnsley Hospice involves the complete renovat... More