Little Green Pig
Little Green Pig
Little Green Pig is a creative writing and mentoring charity based in Brighton & Hove, which focuses on engaging 7- 18 year olds from disadvantaged backgrounds. We offer a free programme of projects in and out of school which is supported by high numbers of trained volunteer story mentors.
Our focus is to engage children and teenagers from the areas of the city which are amongst the top 10% of deprivation in the country, and we have already worked with 2,500 young people.
The mission of Little Green Pig is to provide space and time for children and young people in Brighton & Hove to get creative with words, building confidence, communication and social skills. We believe that everyone, whatever their background, has a right to write and needs a space to create and a gym for their imagination. We believe something special happens when you pick up a pen; we believe that writing promotes good communication, develops empathy, builds healthy communities, and grows self-confidence and self-worth
Our objectives are to-
- to provide a programme of free writing workshops for 7- 18 year olds, with a focus on those who are most in need
-to work in partnership with local schools and families
-to give excellent, one-to-one support to all project participants through a team of highly trained volunteer story mentors
-to evaluate and refine our learning methodology and artistic programme in response to feedback and the needs of the community
We believe it is essential for our learning programme to be high quality and for all our projects to result in tangible outcomes for participants such as a book, film or published article. It is also important that the young people we work with have access to professional writers and artists, that they would not otherwise have contact with, which raises aspirations and empowers them.
Little Green Pig aims to:
- To provide a safe and inspiring environment in which young people can get creative with words.
- To give opportunities to the young people in our community who need them most.
- To encourage participants to find their voices and work collaboratively with their peers to produce exciting, high quality creative outcomes to share.
- To encourage community cohesion through our recruitment and training of local people as volunteer story mentors.
Established: November 2008
Registered Charity Number: 1155661
Board members: 7
Part time staff: 4
Phone number: 01273457758
Address: Community Base, 113 Queens Road, Brighton BN1 3XGView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website