City Music Foundation
City Music Foundation
City Music Foundation turns exception musical talent into professional success by equipping outstanding musicians with the tools, skills, experience and networks they need to build sustainable and enduring careers in performance.
The CMF programme is a unique apprenticeship, offering one to one business mentoring and a range of life-skills workshops tailored for musicians, as well as creating promotional tools and securing multiple performance opportunities providing music for a wide audience.
Our mission is to turn exceptional musical talent into professional success by equipping outstanding musicians with the tools, skills, experience and networks they need to build and sustain rewarding and profitable careers.
Through an annual competitive audition process we select classical soloists and chamber ensembles, as well as jazz, folk and world musicians. These ‘CMF Artists’ then engage in a two-year programme which includes artistic and business mentoring as well as professional development workshops on topics such as managing finances, tax and pensions, legal input on copyright and contracts, as well as presentation and interview skills, promotion and publicity strategies and much more.
CMF’s key position in the City means that we can use our experience, knowledge and connections within the music industry, City institutions and the corporate world to provide unique and unrivalled support and education for our musicians.
We develop promotional tools for CMF artists such as a website, high quality CD and films. We also arrange performance opportunities for them and help them to pursue a bespoke musical project of their choice.
A high proportion even of the most talented musicians fail to convert their great talent and extensive training into a viable career in music. We believe that by investing in these musicians early in their professional careers we can not only secure their employment, but help to ensure the future of quality music in the UK and beyond.
City Music Foundation aims to:
- Mentoring: Providing one-to-one Business Mentoring for CMF Artists to develop the additional financial and organisational skills needed to make a secure living from performing.
- Education: Providing Professional Development Workshops throughout the year on a range of topics e.g. contracts, agents, promoters, media, PR, networking, presentation skills, computer skills etc.
- Technical Experience: Developing websites, professional quality CD recordings and videos for CMF musicians, involving the artists in the whole process as a learning experience.
- Performance Experience: CMF concerts and residencies, as well external gigs fixed through CMF, provide performances to experiment with some new ideas from the professional development workshops.
- Teamwork: Each artist participates in a bespoke project supported and guided by the CMF team, and working with others, to create and curate new multi-arts shows, including making new commissions.
Established: August 2012
Registered Charity Number: 1148641
Board members: 12
Full time staff: 2
Part time staff: 1
Phone number: 07909542601
Address: Church House, Cloth Fair EC1A 7JQView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Turning talent into success - the CMF programmeEducation and training of exceptional classical musicians in 'the business of music' via o... More