St. John's, Smith Square
St. John's, Smith Square
Presenting a rich programme of renowned international and national artists each year, St John's Smith Square is the home of baroque music, playing a crucial role in London's musical life and in the UK as a whole.
Widely acknowledged for its groundbreaking Young Artists' Scheme, St John's Smith Square supports emerging talent at the very start of their careers and plays a vital role in the community, hosting amateur choirs, orchestras and ensembles as well as delivering music outreach projects
St John’s Smith Square’s vision is that the richness of classical music, from renaissance to contemporary, is celebrated and championed.
Its mission is to create the opportunities for established and new audiences to engage with the very best in creative music-making in this historic space.
To achieve its mission, St John's Smith Square...
1. Presents a season of concerts featuring leading national and international artists performing well-known and lesser-known works, with an emphasis on the Baroque period.
2. Champions emerging musical talent, giving Young Artists, at the very start of their careers, the opportunity to programme three concerts in a season, undertake marketing and commissioning projects and deliver outreach projects in schools and with community groups.
3. Promotes new music, by giving voice to creativity and expression, working with its artistic partners to develop pathways for living composers to have their work performed in a concert hall with national profile.
4. Encourages participation in classical music, engaging with local schools and community groups, programming activities for those at the very start of their musical journeys and for enthusiastic musicians keen to get back into music and improve their skills and abilities.
5. Preserves the heritage of a Grade I listed building dating back to 1714, highlighting the fascinating stories of the hall's past and maintaining the hall in line with the vision of its creator, Thomas Archer.
St. John's, Smith Square aims to:
- To establish the UK's home of baroque music, presenting the richness of music from this period, performed by leading international and national artists.
- To champion emerging talent, supporting Young Artists through a unique and unrivalled programme that gives vital experience that can sustain a career in the music industry
- To encourage participation in music, delivering a compelling and varied community education programme that encourages participation in classical music more broadly.
- To preserve the heritage of a Grade I listed building, highlighting the richness of its history since it was designed and built by Thomas Archer from 1714.
Established: September 1969
Registered Charity Number: 1045390
Board members: 9
Full time staff: 8
Part time staff: 1
Phone number: 02072222168
Address: St John's Smith Square SW1P 3HAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
St John's Smith Square Young Artists' Scheme 17/18Play a crucial role in supporting the Young Artists' Scheme, and give the most promising y... More