New Life Nyambene
New Life Nyambene
We set up in about 2000 to help provide some sustenance for street and destitute children in Maua in the Nyambene Hills, Kenya, with the help of a local pastor. The project had grown by 2007 (when we registered as a charity) to a home from which the children could go to school. Since then we have helped support about 50 young people into work or into tertiary education. We now employ 3 local staff and work in partnership with The Economic Projects Transformational Facility a local charity.
With less than half of Kenya’s school-aged population at school, it is very rare to find street children in education. NLN's mission is to widen access to educational opportunity by breaking down the barriers street children experience, which include:
• Financial: NLN pays for school uniform, equipment, course fees and boarding costs.
• Administrative: NLN helps street children obtain identity papers needed to register for school. NLN's staff advocate for them throughout their education, helping them enrol, settling them in, regularly visiting them and liaising with their teachers about their support needs.
• Emotional: the support NLN's staff provide enables the children to recover from trauma and sustain education. By believing in them and being there for them, NLN increases their self-esteem and aspirations.
• Social: Street children are often barred from school because they are seen as trouble makers. NLN challenges this stigma, building good relations with schools and vouching for the children as their guardians.
• Health: years of homelessness, hunger and poor access to sanitation and healthcare take their toll. NLN accompanies them to the doctors and hospital and ensure they get medicine.
New Life Nyambene aims to:
- To help destitute children from the streets rebuild their lives and support them to gain the education they need to become self-sufficient adults able to work their own way out of poverty.
Established: December 2007
Registered Charity Number: 1122048
Board members: 12
Full time staff: 3
Phone number: 01665 798592
Address: 11 Market Place NE661HSView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website