Since 2009 we have recruited more than 50 volunteer teachers from across the English-speaking world to act as mentors for staff in schools in Goderich. For the last six years we have run training programmes helping more than 35 headteachers, assistants and proprietors through annual workshops. We have now built our own 'free' secondary school and community library admitting the first 50 pupils from the poorest families in the district and employing eight staff and volunteers and ancillaries.
"To relieve the desparate needs of children and young people in Sierra Leone and advance their education for the public benefit in particular, but not exclusively, by the provision of volunteers to assist in teaching".
Extra Mile aims to:
- Make civic and professional groups in the UK and other English-speaking countries of the world more aware of the abject plight of children in this extremely poor district of Sierra Leone.
- Recruit professionally trained and others with good basic skills to act as mentors to teachers in Goderich in order to raise the quality of teaching and learning in this district of Sierra Leone.
- Organise and hold educational training workshops for local headteachers, assistants, volunteer staff and proprietors in order to help raise the quality of teaching and learning in this district.
- Build and resource the charity's own secondary school to provide free education for the children of some of the poorest families in the district and train and employ staff to work there.
- Build and resource the charity's own community library within the school for the pupils and staff of the school to use, as well as other children and adults from the local community.
Established: January 2009
Registered Charity Number: 1130879
Board members: 9
Full time staff: 3
Part time staff: 3
Phone number: 07771874128
Address: 4, Dickens Road, CV225RWView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Extra Mile's School Breakfast ClubPoor families send hungry kids, who have sometimes been working since 5am, to school. Extr... More