Indian Community Association
Indian Community Association
The Indian Community Association is an umbrella organisation which consists of several Indian consortium groups and Associate members. We organise and run social, health & wellbeing, cultural and educational activities for all age groups and communities with an aim to:
• Reducing isolation / befriending services
• Confidence building
• Promoting healthy living and healthy lifestyles
• Self-development/skill building
• Cultural awareness
We are a charity that has been playing an important role in the local Community for the last three decades. Today we are a modern community charity that is engaged with a substantial number of people who live, work, learn or play in our vibrant and diverse community. Through our varied services, activities and community building, all of which are open to the whole community, we aim to improve the quality of life of those most disadvantaged by poverty, poor health, social isolation and limited prospects. We run an accessible and busy community centre at the heart of East Reading. The centre has many uses: it provides a base from which we run a wide range of services, a place for local people to meet and a resource for other groups/organisations to deliver their services to the local community. Additionally, the building is an asset for income generation from external bookings.
What do we do?
•Provide a community centre that is a hub for local people and organisations to work, play and learn in Reading.
•Provide and enable services that are delivered to a high standard and are open to all.
•Provide a direct voice for and on behalf of residents to ensure that local services that they identify as required, are provided to meet their needs.
Indian Community Association aims to:
- Elderly Day centre Create the opportunity and environment for the elderly to grow, learn and socialise in a safe and progressive place with a supportive and understanding network around them.
- After School Club A club for children to play and learn in after school hours. Due to the diverse nature of the children attending, we provide sessions and activities on understanding and respecting.
- Cultural Activities Provide a variety of social and cultural activities for all ages to learn and participate in. These help promote cultural knowledge, heritage, and language as well as promoting.
- Health & Well Being We are very active in ensuring health and wellbeing education and activities are provided to all our users from the children to the elderly.
- Skills and Training We host and promote ESOL(English Speakers of Other Languages) classes for the wider community. We also provide IT and technology support classes.
Established: March 1983
Registered Charity Number: 298938
Board members: 14
Part time staff: 8
Phone number: 01189617713
Address: 2 Norris Road, Reading RG6 1NJView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website