The Forget-me-not Chorus
The Forget-me-not Chorus
The Forget-me-not-Chorus is testament to the potential of song, music and shared creativity to enrich and enhance people's lives. A charity for people with dementia and their families, which at the includes strong communities of singers who gather weekly in Cardiff North, Cardiff South and Newport, and in care homes in Cardiff and Newport.
The Forget-me-Not Chorus is testament to the potential of song, music and shared creativity to enrich and enhance people’s lives. A charity for people with dementia and their families, which includes strong communities of singers who gather weekly in communities, care homes and hospitals in South East Wales. Working rigorously with different creative methods to build towards content that is meaningful and relevant to their experience, each year the team run three performance projects. Through this process of working towards both musical repertoire and supporting artistic content for performance, the members of the chorus gain ownership of their work and are given a powerfully expressive voice with which to share their world.
Thus, the Forget-me-Nots are so much more than a choir – these weekly sessions are mitigation against the terrible loneliness and isolation felt by many people living with dementia and their families. It’s a safe, supportive, normalising and nourishing place to make friends and join together in a joyful, positive experience. It’s a place where people are absolutely accepted and can discuss approaches to difficult challenges and troubles. And it is a place, crucially, to give a powerfully creative voice to the experience of living with dementia – so that others might also learn and understand.
The Forget-me-not Chorus aims to:
- To empower people with dementia and their families and carers to use their voice in song to express themselves.
- To provide a safe trusting environment that encourages all to form supportive friendships with others and to share experiences
- To take the participants on a journey together through reminiscent therapy projects, exploring different art forms such as music, poetry, dance and creative crafts.
- To provide the participants with opportunities to perform alongside professional singers and leading arts organisations in projects of excellent artistic quality.
- To use the power of music to provide an escape from the everyday caring routine, and provide a sense of normality, giving families a positive experience of being together.
Established: January 2011
Registered Charity Number: 1151812
Board members: 13
Part time staff: 8
Phone number: 02922362064
Address: 5 Lewis Road CF64 2LWView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
All you need is loveJan - Mar: run 3 creative arts projectss spring boarding off the theme of love. April -... More