Scene & Heard
Scene & Heard
A mentoring project that brings together the inner city children of Somers Town, London, with volunteer theatre professionals to create original theatre, boosting self-esteem and raising aspirations.
Scene & Heard is a unique mentoring project that partners the under-privileged children of Somers Town, London with volunteer theatre professionals, giving them intensive, quality one-to-one adult attention and enabling them to write and perform their own plays. This process improves the children's literacy skills and general attitude towards education and learning. It also develops their communication and social skills, and offers them positive adult role models from beyond their normal experience. The ensuing performances give the children immediate and public experiences of success, raising their aspirations and boosting their self-esteem.
Scene & Heard aims to:
- Produce regular seasons of innovative new writing for a public audience to the highest possible professional standard.
- Tailor the courses to the developing needs of each child in an environment where each child feels they can offer something of value.
- Remain a significant presence in the lives of the children and their families by working with each child through a series of courses from age 9 onwards.
- Boost children’s self-esteem and raise their aspirations through personal experiences of success.
- Give each child high quality one-to-one mentoring from adult role models beyond their normal experience.
Established: February 1999
Registered Charity Number: 1077836
Board members: 9
Full time staff: 2
Part time staff: 1
Phone number: 0845 009 0775
Address: Theatro Technis 26 Crowndale Road London NW1 1TTView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Scene & HeardA unique mentoring project brings together inner city children of Somers Town, London, wit... More