The Uphill Trust
The Uphill Trust
The Uphill Trust supports Uphill Junior School, a private kindergarten/primary school in western Uganda. Many of the children who attend the school are from poor rural families and a significant number of the pupils are orphans or come from single parent homes due to the devastating effect of HIV/Aids in Uganda. Uphill Junior School actively promotes the education of girls as well as boys.
Our Mission is to secure the establishment and development of Uphill Junior School in rural western Uganda. By providing funds we will help the School Management Committee develop a permanent primary school and kindergarten for children aged 3-12 years in the village of Iruhuura in the crater lake hills south of Fort Portal. With financial help from The Uphill Trust, the School Management Committee is able to maintain a staff of motivated and well-qualified teachers and permanent school buildings are under development. The Trust aims to support the school for up to 10 years, by which time the school should have good quality classrooms, sanitation and other facilities and be in a position to support itself through fee income. The Uphill Trust is a no-overheads charity and all the funds raised are used to support projects at the school.
The Uphill Trust aims to:
- Construct ten permanent classrooms, in three blocks, for the children of Uphill Junior School. Seven year groups are currently being taught in temporary wooden classrooms with mud floors.
- Provide water harvesting tanks and guttering for all three classroom blocks to provide clean water for drinking, hand washing and cooking. There is no reliable clean water supply in the village.
- Purchase and install permanent playground equipment for the Kindergarten classes. A temporary tyre playground was installed in 2017 but better play facilities are needed.
- Construct an administration building for the school - this aim has been achieved (June 2018) with the help of generous legacy funding.
- Continue to support the day-to-day running of the school, for up to 10 years, whilst it develops self-financing arrangements. Funding is particularly needed for teacher salaries & examination costs.
Established: January 2015
Board members: 5
Phone number: 01259 742311
Address: 21 Strachan Crescent Dollar Clackmannanshire FK14 7HLView charity accounts on the Scottish Charity Commission website
Classrooms for a Rural Ugandan SchoolAll children deserve the opportunity to learn in a safe, clean environment. Uphill Junior... More
Admin Block with Secure Storage - NOW BUILT!All schools need secure storage for curriculum resources, school records & equipment. The ... More
Providing Clean Water for a Ugandan SchoolAccess to clean water is essential for health and for effective learning. Harvesting rainw... More