The Downside Settlement
The Downside Settlement
We are a youth club working in Bermondsey that provides opportunities for local young people to engage in a range of activities and informal education provided by our team of trained youth workers.
The Downside Fisher Youth Club (DFYC) has supported socially excluded children and young people in the London Borough of Southwark since 1908. The Club’s mission is to help them fulfil their potential through a structured programme of sport, educational, artistic and recreational activities, carefully guided by a committed team of highly motivated and experienced professional youth workers.
The Club is open to those aged between 9 and 21 years old and members are asked to pay 50p for each visit as a token of their commitment to the Club.
When the Youth Club is closed the building and its facilities are available for hire. The space is used by local primary schools, charities, housing associations, for training course, sports clubs and churches. This helps to fund the running of the building and the Youth Club and means that the Club can help the local community by offering the use of these facilities at affordable rates.
DFYC is home to the Fisher Amateur Boxing Club which has been a flagship of the Club since 1908 with many extremely notable successes. The Fisher Amateur Boxing Club has always worked tirelessly with local young people to develop their self-respect, discipline and determination.
The Downside Settlement aims to:
- To promote the personal, social and educational development of young people.
- To inspire young people to develop their potential, acquire new skills and build confidence to make their own decisions.
- To provide opportunities for young people to work effectively in groups and take a responsible role in the community.
- To deliver informal social education, based on a voluntary relationship, which enables young people to develop their interests and learn new ways of using their leisure time.
- To make a difference to young people’s lives and especially to those who are the most vulnerable and have faced the most barriers in the past.
Established: January 1908
Registered Charity Number: 252196
Board members: 12
Full time staff: 6
Part time staff: 5
Phone number: 0207 939 7400
Address: Downside Fisher Youth Club, Coxson Place, Druid Street, London SE1 2EZView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Summer Camp 2019To give young inner-city people the opportunity to get away from London and take part in a... More
Arts projectsTo develop our arts program to target a broader range of young people who can benefit from... More
Fitness Gym RefurbishmentTo redesign a part of our Youth Club to accommodate a modern fitness gym which can be used... More
Outward Bound Activities for One YearTo give young, inner city people from Southwark the chance to participate in team-building... More
New Gym EquipmentWe need strength and conditioning equipment for our newly refurbished gym. The gym has bee... More