BowHaven was established in 2003 as a user run mental health charity. We pride ourselves in hosting some of the most innovative and dynamic peer led groups and support in London.
Based in Tower Hamlets, we offer counselling, support, advice and activities - run by people who have survived mental health issues themselves.
Our full programme of 15 weekly groups and activities (Monday to Sunday) is almost all fully user-led (i. E. Led by Mental Health survivors) and includes:
- a Hearing Voices peer support group
- peer support for people who self harm
- a peer support group for people who suffer from paranoid and distressing beliefs
- a therapeutic art group
- individual counselling
- professional advice on debt, housing and benefits
- regular trips and events, and a number of other social activities.
We believe in recovery in the real sense: we aim help people who use mental health services to empower themselves, define their own journey and find their own strengths. We not only support people who come to us to cope better, but provide opportunities to grow and help others. We support some of the most vulnerable people in the borough, who would be in and out of hospital and crisis services on a regular basis if we could not continue our work, to become facilitators of their own groups and community leaders in their own right.
We know our work is vital to the 200+ people who use our charity each year. Many of our members are physically disabled, or have additional learning disabilities, or social communication needs in addition to their mental health needs. Please help us continue and grow.
BowHaven aims to:
- To promote and protect the health, confidence and well-being of people with mental health issues, living in the borough of Tower Hamlets
- To provide user-led support, education and self-help activities, within a safe and friendly environment.
- To help promote recovery and advance the education of the general public in all areas relating to mental health.
Established: February 2003
Registered Charity Number: 1114194
Board members: 8
Full time staff: 1
Part time staff: 3
Phone number: 020 7364 5531
Address: BowHaven Bow Community Hall William Place (Off Roman Road) London E3 5EDView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website