Horatio's Garden is a national charity that creates and runs beautiful gardens in NHS Spinal injury Centres. The charity organises events and activities in the gardens for patients and their families.
Horatio's Garden has been founded to address the unmet needs of patients with spinal cord injuries. The therapeutic gardens provide a place which enhances and complements hospital rehabilitation and helps to mitigate some of the longer term consequences of living with paralysis and disability. The gardens are designed by leading garden designers, who work in collaboration with all the spinal unit stakeholders, to create gardens which are fully accessible and utterly beautiful.
The charity maintains the gardens with a head gardener and a team of volunteers who work under her leadership and support the patients to use the garden.
The gardens provide a place for patients to escape to - a space to reflect and experience emotion. But in addition patients can enjoy garden therapy, art therapy, artist led work and become involved in maintaining the planting as well as attend any of the charity's scheduled social events.
There are 11 spinal cord injury centres in the UK and the charity hopes to build garden projects in all of these. The first Horatio's Garden opened in Salisbury in 2012, the second will be in Scotland and the third at Stoke Mandeville.
The charity is run by a committed team of trustees and two of the trustee work full time as the executive team.
www. Horatiosgarden. Org. Uk
Horatio's Garden aims to:
- Creating outdoor spaces called "Horatio's Garden" that are places of tranquillity and beauty at spinal treatment centres;
- Maintaining and improving Horatio's Gardens
- Supporting people with spinal injuries and their friends and relatives to enable them to use Horatio's Gardens
- Facilitating events, especially in Horatio's Gardens, for people with spinal injuries, their friends, relatives, carers and for volunteers and staff at the spinal treatment centres
- Training and supporting staff and volunteers who care for people with spinal injuries.
Established: April 2013
Registered Charity Number: 1151475
Board members: 8
Part time staff: 3
Phone number: 01722780911
Address: 41A Vicarage St, Warminster BA12 8JQView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Horatio's Garden ScotlandTo create a beautiful Horatio's Garden, Scotland at the Queen Elizabeth Spinal Injuries Un... More