The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park

The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park

Charity information

The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park

Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park (known locally as Bow Cemetery) is a historic Cemetery located in London's East End. The nearest tube station is Mile End (see maps and travel).

The Cemetery opened in 1841 by an Act of Parliament and is one of London's Magnificent Seven Cemeteries. The Cemetery closed to burials in 1966. That same year becoming a Park by Act of Parliament. It became Tower Hamlets first Local Nature Reserve in 2001. Near-by land was added in the mid-nineties, known as "Scrapyard Meadow" and Ackroyd Drive Green Link. Today it is 33 acres of "managed" mature, broadleaved woodland and meadow. It is also a educational resource to 7000+ school children every academic year who use the Park as an outdoor classroom.

The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park was set up in 1990. We have a Constitution whose main objectives are to encourage greater use of this inner urban green space as a sanctuary for people, a place of biodiversity, while protecting and preserving the historic content.

Founded 1990

  • Bio Blitz!

    To engage professionals/skilled amateurs in biological monitoring across a range of differ... More