Irise International works to support the education and empowerment of disadvantaged women and girls in the UK and East Africa.
Irise International supports marginalised women and girls in the UK and East Africa through listening and responding to their voices in order to identify neglected barriers to their empowerment and develop effective solutions that can be replicated by others.
In East Africa....
... We work mainly in Uganda to:
1. Support girls to stay in school
2. Create income generating opportunities for marginalised women.
To date we have focused on supporting school girls as they enter adolescence. Many girls report struggling to engage at school once the enter puberty as they lack the information, sanitary products and supportive environment they need to feel comfortable and confident during menstruation. We have developed a model intervention to address these needs.
In the UK...
... We recently launched our Young People in Control Project in response to pilot work and new research highlighting that many young people in the UK also lack the information they need about menstruation, puberty and reproductive health.
Irise International aims to:
- 1. Develop effective projects in the UK and Uganda that empower girls through addressing menstruation and puberty.
- 2. .Develop a mechanism for identifying neglected barriers to women and girls’ empowerment through listening to their voices and a model for developing effective solutions.
- 3. Engage key stakeholders to replicate our work and influence national and international agendas and policies related to the issues Irise addresses.
- 4. Recruit and nurture young talented women with a desire to help their communities and provide opportunities for young women to develop professional & transferable skills.
Established: January 2012
Registered Charity Number: 1157722
Board members: 6
Full time staff: 2
Part time staff: 1
Phone number: 00447526850145
Address: 21 Leyburn Road, Sheffield S8 0XAView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website