St Mary's Music School
St Mary's Music School
St Mary’s Music School, Edinburgh, is Scotland’s specialist music school, dedicated to nurturing exceptional musical talent alongside first-rate academic education for up to 100 students aged 8 – 19.
The mission of St Mary's Music School is to provide the highest quality education and training to exceptionally gifted young musicians, in an inspiring, inclusive and supportive environment.
St Mary’s Choir School was opened in 1800 to educate choristers for the newly built St Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral. Since 1972 the School, which Yehudi Menuhin supported and called his “sister school”, has also educated young instrumentalists, composers and singers.
The School, which is independent, co-educational and non-denominational, provides an impressive and stimulating full-time education with music at its core for up to 100 talented young musicians who come from all over Scotland and beyond. Entry is by audition at any stage, with places awarded on musical merit and potential.
The School provides specialist music training with many performing opportunities.
All pupils proceed to Higher Education, with most studying Music. The School is careful to ensure that students wishing to pursue other options have the necessary qualifications.
The latest HM Inspectorate of Education report (November 2011) awarded the top level evaluation “Excellent” in three categories and “Very Good” in the other two categories.
The School has an important Outreach programme. 150 local children participate in Saturday Morning Music Classes. The Part-time Pathways to Music Specialism Scheme offers opportunities to post-Higher students from other schools aiming for Higher Education courses in Music.
St Mary's Music School aims to:
- To provide specialist music education to instrumentalists and the choristers of St Mary’s Cathedral
- To encourage applications from all students with the potential to benefit from a supportive specialist music school education
- To develop each student’s musical education to the full and to provide an excellent general education, offering flexibility of timetabling, sensitive to the needs of the individual
- To promote engagement with the wider community and to extend in-depth learning in music to children from other schools as part of our outreach programme
- To contribute to the cultural life of Scotland and internationally
Established: August 1972
Board members: 7
Full time staff: 25
Part time staff: 95
Phone number: 0131 538 7766
Address: St Marys Music School Coates Hall, 25 Grosvenor Crescent, Edinburgh EH12 5ELView charity accounts on the Scottish Charity Commission website
Help Shape the Future of Music Scholarship FundSt Mary's Music School is a national resource, open to all, regardless of personal circums... More