VOYAGE (Voice Of Youth & Genuine Empowerment) is an educational & criminal justice charity and social enterprise set up to transform the aspirations of young black & minority ethnic communities.
Voyage works with disadvantaged, impoverished and gang affected communities across many of London's most culturally diverse boroughs. Voyage programmes have been long established in communities and our work ultimately encourages young people to develop themselves and their communities, promoting a culture of respect, equality and justice to secure lasting peace between conflicting neighbourhoods and postcodes.
Voyage is conscious about how young black and minority ethnic people are labelled and stereotyped as gang members and through our programmes we explore how these concepts:
1. Set our communities back through the disproportion use of policies.
2. Continue to drive a wedge between law enforcement
3. Limit access community resources and opportunities
In addition our vibrant programmes take participants on an educational and experiential journey to create transformation in individuals, communities and ultimately the wider world in which we live.
We achieve this aim by developing young black and minority ethnic leaders and were possible we include those in Young Offender Institutions (YOIs) and Young Offender Teams (YOTs), bail hostels and prisons. Achieving success through participation in VOYAGE programmes leads to membership of our pan-London youth-led and youth-managed alumni organisation, Young Black Positive Advocates (YBPA).
Voyage Youth aims to:
- To encourage the development and formation of plans that assist the reduction of disproportionate impact on black and and minority communities
- To promote active and responsive citizenship particularly amongst members of the public who are black or from other minority ethnic groups across England and Wales
- To empower, advocate, facilitate support for and champion the needs and voice of young people involved in the criminal justice system who are from the black and minority ethnic communities
Established: April 2002
Registered Charity Number: 1068108
Board members: 7
Part time staff: 5
Phone number: 02076138345
Address: Hackney Community College Shoreditch Campus Falkirk Street, London N1 6HQView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website