School For Parents
School For Parents
A Nottingham based charity that nurtures and develops the young disabled child and offers hope and support to the parent.
Providing Conductive Education and other services to help disabled children to develop the skills they need to thrive and achieve their potential. This is done in a safe, positive, supportive and fun environment where parents receive practical assistance, information and training to help them support their child in their own home. At School for Parents all our groups, sessions and programmes are delivered within the principles and practices of Conductive Education.
Conductive Education is a holistic integrated pedagogical / educational system which enables people with developmental issues to learn to overcome the challenges they face. Conductive Education is a process of experiences which leads the person to move towards increased independence.
Developmental issues create a wide range of challenges which can involve areas of gross and fine movement, perception, social skills, emotional development, speech, language and communication. These in turn can affect motivation, confidence and personality. Ultimately it is the whole personality that is impacted by the condition. Children with Down’s Syndrome have poor oral proprioception [the ability to sense the position and location and orientation and movement of the body and its parts] and often present with specific learning difficulties. A high percentage of these children also have hearing problems.
School For Parents aims to:
- To enrich the lives of children with motor disorders or motor development delay, developing their independence through teaching movement;, mobility, communication, social, cognitive and sensory skills
- Continue to acknowledge and value the vital role of families in their child’s development, through providing high quality information, lifelong learning opportunities, practical and emotional support.
- To provide Conductive Education to children and families from our centre at Nottingham
- Increase the awareness of School for Parents to families, professional agencies, and the wider community.
- Develop the range of support offered to families through consultation with parents & family members.
Established: July 2002
Registered Charity Number: 1093006
Board members: 8
Full time staff: 2
Part time staff: 8
Phone number: 0115 958 6641
Address: School for Parents, c/o Iona School, 310 Sneinton Dale, Nottingham NG3 7DNView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Funding for a new home for School for Parents.With this funding, School for Parents could find new premises to be adapted to support the... More