Told by an Idiot
Told by an Idiot
We are a theatre company that tells universal stories through a comic and irreverent style accessible to all. We also produce exciting participation projects through our Taught by an Idiot strand.
Told by an Idiot creates theatre for national and international touring and for specific spaces. We set out to explore the human condition by celebrating and reveling in a style of theatre that is bigger than life. Through collaborative writing, anarchic physicality and a playful but rigorous approach to text, the company is committed to creating a genuinely spontaneous experience for the audience.
Established in 2010 Taught by an Idiot is the education and participation strand of Told by an Idiot. ‘Taught’ projects are bespoke participation opportunities that run alongside our theatre productions and alongside our professional development training for young arts professionals. We create projects that are enjoyable, playful and that have a positive effect on participants and audiences alike.
The programme of work has so far included high level partnerships, including the National Theatre, the Barbican, West Yorkshire Playhouse, Brighton Festival and RADA.
Told by an Idiot aims to:
- To celebrate the diversity of cultures in our society by presenting work by and with artists of different cultural backgrounds.
- To engage young audiences in the theatre experience.
- To engage and communicate with a new generation of theatre-makers.
- To collaborate with high quality artists, both within theatre and cross artform.
- To produce exciting and stimulating theatrical experiences, stemming from an innate comic sensibility.
Established: August 1993
Registered Charity Number: 1086571
Board members: 5
Full time staff: 1
Part time staff: 3
Phone number: 020 7407 4123
Address: Unit LF 1.7, The Leathermarket, Weston Street, London SE1 3ERView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Connected: A radical new Idiot devising project'Taught by an Idiot’ is Told by an Idiot's education strand and Connected is our ambitio... More