Gainsborough's House Society
Gainsborough's House Society
Gainsborough’s House, the childhood home of Thomas Gainsborough is a national centre for the exploration of Gainsborough’s art, the development of the English landscape and the art of printmaking.
To promote the wider knowledge, appreciation and enjoyment of the art of Thomas Gainsborough within the context of the eighteenth century and the inspiration of the Suffolk landscape and to preserve and enhance Gainsborough’s House and its collections for the benefit of present and future generations
With Thomas Gainsborough as its inspiration it seeks to bring to life the art and ideals of Thomas Gainsborough to inspire a new generation of visitors.
Gainsborough House Society was founded in 1958 to acquire the House and open it to the public as a museum and centre for the arts. It is the birthplace of the painter Thomas Gainsborough (1727 – 1788) and is an attractive Grade I listed building in the heart of Sudbury, a market town in Suffolk. This unique museum is the only birthplace museum of an artist in the country; more of his work is on display here at any one time than anywhere else in the world. The House is a museum of national importance and houses a collection of work encompassing the artist’s whole career. Not only does it provide a fitting memorial to Gainsborough and his life but Gainsborough’s House Society also aims to encourage and inform the public about his life and work within the wider context of eighteenth-century art and society. The museum aims to preserve the building and its contents for future generations and, through its educational aims, provide a wide reaching educational and outreach programme.
Gainsborough's House Society aims to:
- RAISING THE PROFILE: GAINSBOROUGH’S HOUSE To promote Gainsborough’s House as a leading light of Britain’s arts heritage.
- THE HOUSE AND ITS CONTENTS Provide proper protection for a unique collection of paintings, prints and drawings and access for present and future generations to enjoy and appreciate the work.
- AN INTERNATIONAL STUDY CENTRE To establish Gainsborough’s House as an international centre for the study and appreciation of Gainsborough, English landscape painting and printmaking
- A LEARNING CENTRE To provide through its philosophy of art for everyone, a vibrant learning programme and activities aimed at all ages, background and ability and to develop an outreach programme.
- . A SENSE OF PLACE To develop the potential of Gainsborough’s House’s strong ‘sense of place’ and become a place of local pride and enjoyment for Sudbury and which tells the story of its famous son.
Established: January 1958
Registered Charity Number: 214046
Board members: 12
Full time staff: 1
Part time staff: 14
Phone number: 01787 372958
Address: Gainsborough's House 46 Gainsborough Street Sudbury Suffolk CO10 2EUView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
BUILDING THE GAINSBOROUGH COLLECTIONGainsborough's House, the childhood home of Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788) B is striving ... More