Cancer Support Scotland
Cancer Support Scotland
Cancer Support Scotland provides free emotional and practical support on a one-to-one basis and through community-based groups to anyone affected by cancer, including family and carers. Our services are provided at the Cancer Support Scotland Centre in the grounds of the Gartnavel Hospital in Glasgow and also from various community centre and libraries across the Central Belt to ensure that even the most vulnerable people have access to our services when they need us most.
We know the impact that cancer has to each individual and the people around them is unique therefore we offer free, individually tailored, one to one services from our specially trained and experienced therapists in space that offers a calm and relaxing environment both in our Centre and at various Outreach locations. The support we provide includes counselling and complementary therapies such as aromatherapy, reiki, massage and podiatry.
Not everyone knows what support they want when they come to us, they just know they need help. Our carefully chosen team are approachable, sensitive and specially trained to help people recognise and identify their needs which allows us to create a course of treatment whether in one support area, or across all areas that will best benefit the individual they are helping.
Our professional bespoke services allow a rare opportunity within a person’s cancer journey for them to step back from the whirlwind of appointments, medicine, jargon and results driven environment they enter in their ‘fight against cancer’; to give themselves a moment in time and space to explore the physical and emotional impact to them personally.
Cancer Support Scotland aims to:
- Reduce waiting lists and improve awareness of our services to allow more people to access our support.
- Provide as much practical information and specialist support to people directly and indirectly affected by cancer.
- Constantly develop the skills of our staff and volunteers to be able to deliver the best possible care and support.
- Influence legislation, cancer agendas and practices to improve the lives of people affected by cancer.
- Develop partnerships to provide more support in local communities and continue to spread our reach.
Established: January 1980
Board members: 9
Full time staff: 9
Part time staff: 7
Phone number: 0800 652 4531
Address: 75 Shelley Road, Gartnavel Campus G12 0ZEView charity accounts on the Scottish Charity Commission website
Support Centre for people living with CancerCancer affects the lives of many people – patients, family, friends and professional car... More