York People First
York People First
York People First is York’s first advocacy service run by people with learning difficulties for people with learning difficulties.
York People First is York’s first advocacy service run by people with learning difficulties for people with learning difficulties. The group raises awareness both locally and nationally, as well as training police, social care managers, student nurses and student occupational therapists. It is the only organisation in York that consults people with learning difficulties about new government legislation by holding parliaments and feeding peoples views back to the government. The charity provides training to professionals from many different organisations and uses drama as a means of raising awareness on issues for people with learning difficulties.
York People First is a charity and an independent self-advocacy group that receives no regular funding from agencies. It relies for its existence solely on fundraising, donations and income from training. It is vital that the City of York continues to have an independent self-advocacy service for people with learning difficulties.
York People First aims to:
- •Teach the community about the rights, the abilities and the strengths of people with a learning disability
- •To help people with a learning disability to speak up
- •To build peoples confidence and create future leaders
- •To represent people with learning disabilities in York and the surrounding area at local, regional, national and government level
- •To provide training to students, staff and members of the community who work with people who have learning disabilities
Established: January 2001
Registered Charity Number: 1109732
Board members: 9
Part time staff: 2
Phone number: 01904 479315
Address: York Eco Business Centre Amy Johnson Way Clifton Moor York YO30 4AGView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website