We're a bunch of human rights ninjas who use the law to deliver justice and save lives, from death row to Guantánamo Bay. We defend people all over the world from extreme abuses of state power.
Reprieve provides free representation and legal support to people who have been tortured, rendered, sentenced to death, droned, or illegally imprisoned by the world's most powerful states. We tend to focus on the cases of people accused of the most serious crimes and victims of the so-called 'war on terror', because it is under these circumstances that human rights and the rule of law are most likely to be swept aside and abandoned.
We prioritise the cases of people who have been abused by the world's most powerful governments, because fundamental human rights principles are measured against the example influential nations set. We promote the rule of law around the world, secure each person’s right to a fair trial, and tell our clients' stories. In doing so, we save men and women from being wrongly imprisoned, tortured and, in the worst cases, killed.
Reprieve assists British nationals facing the death penalty anywhere in the world, as well as European nationals on death row in the USA, south east Asia, the Middle East and north Africa. We are currently assisting 70 prisoners facing a death sentence in 16 countries and since 1999, we have helped over 300 people to avoid execution overseas.
We represent 15 prisoners in Guantánamo Bay and provide assistance for many more; to date, 66 of our clients have been released.
Reprieve also investigates cases of rendition, torture and extra-judicial detention all over the world, and reunites ‘ghost’ prisoners with their legal rights.
Reprieve aims to:
- Assist British and European nationals facing death sentences overseas. We investigate their cases, assist their local lawyers, and work with the British government to help them avoid execution.
- Represent 15 men still detained in Guantanamo Bay. We litigate on their behalves, we use the media to tell their stories, and we campaign for Obama to free cleared men and shut the prison for good.
- Investigate, expose and challenge US-led drone attacks in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia. We publicise victims' cases and litigate in court. We help them tell the world about their experiences.
- Work with ethical pharmaceutical companies to help them prevent their medicines from being used to kill prisoners in the US.
- Help victims of UK and US counter terrorism policies to seek redress and accountability for the abuses they have suffered at the hands of our governments.
Established: November 1999
Registered Charity Number: 1114900
Board members: 9
Full time staff: 33
Phone number: 020 7553 8140
Address: PO Box 72054 London EC3P 3BZView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Appeal from our patron, Jon SnowReprieve is a small, nimble and fearless human rights organisation. We help people who hav... More
'You save one life, you save the world'Goethe's wise words sum up Reprieve's big idea. Establishing the rule of law and making s... More
Reprieve Death Row FellowshipsHelp Reprieve provide lawyers and investigators to assist prisoners facing the death penal... More