The Bush is a world-famous home for new plays and an internationally renowned champion of playwrights.
The Bush Theatre is one of the country’s leading new writing venues. In nearly forty years since our founding in 1972, we have gained an unrivalled reputation for our ability to spot and nurture new playwrights. Our recent move to the new theatre benefits writers, the community and our audience with an extended capacity, cafe bar and rehearsal space.
Every year we stage up to eight new productions in our studio space, read and report on over 1,500 unsolicited scripts, present two seasons of rehearsed readings, commission up to seven new writers, reach out to new audiences and theatre practitioners through our education programme, and offer a bespoke development programme for writers through our literary department.
Playwrights Stephen Poliakoff, Catherine Johnson, Jonathan Harvey, David Eldridge, Samuel Adamson and Jack Thorne all began their careers at the Bush, along with actors including Simon Callow, Kate Beckinsale, Sheridan Smith, Tim McInnerny, Jim Broadbent, Julie Walters, Victoria Wood and Alan Rickman.
HOW YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE:
- £75 enables us to read five scripts sent in by new playwrights, helping us to report on over 1,500 scripts every year
- £350 enables us to run a workshop with a group of 14-21 year0old local residents
- £1,000 pays for the lighting of a Bush production
- £5,000 enables us to engage a new playwright
Bush Theatre aims to:
- We discover, nurture and produce the best new playwrights from the widest range of backgrounds, and present their work to the highest possible standards.
Established: April 1972
Registered Charity Number: 270080
Board members: 14
Full time staff: 17
Part time staff: 15
Phone number: 020 8743 3584
Address: 7 Uxbridge Road London W12 8LJView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Artistic Director's Creation Fund"One of the most experienced prospectors of raw talent in Europe" - The Independent. The... More