A Rocha International
A Rocha International
We are a Christian organization working in 20 countries to engage communities in nature conservation. Our first initiative was a field study centre in Portugal, and so our name is Portuguese and means ‘The Rock’.
A Rocha is an international Christian organization which, inspired by God’s love, engages in scientific research, environmental education and community-based conservation projects.
In all the countries where we work, A Rocha is identified by five core commitments and to a practical outworking of each:
Christian - Underlying all we do is our biblical faith in the living God, who made the world, loves it and entrusts it to the care of human society.
Conservation - We carry out research for the conservation and restoration of the natural world and run environmental education programmes for people of all ages.
Community - Through our commitment to God, each other and the wider creation, we aim to develop good relationships both within the A Rocha family and in our local communities.
Cross-cultural - We draw on the insights and skills of people from diverse cultures, both locally and around the world.
Cooperation - We work in partnership with a wide variety of organizations and individuals who share our concerns for a sustainable world.
A Rocha International aims to:
- Scientific research: Across all our projects, A Rocha teams undertake long-term research and monitoring programmes, most of which aims to inform conservation priorities.
- Community-based conservation: A Rocha works with communities to restore and protect threatened habitats and endangered wildlife.
- Environmental education: Through our environmental education work, both with children and adults, A Rocha is helping people to appreciate the beauty and fragility of nature and to care for it.
- Equipping the church: A Rocha resources Christians for environmental action through teaching and involvement in practical conservation projects.
- Ethical leadership and mentoring: In all of our work, we seek to uphold the needs of the poor and marginalized, give a voice to a voiceless creation, promote justice and offer hope.
Established: March 1983
Registered Charity Number: 1136041
Board members: 8
Full time staff: 10
Part time staff: 7
Phone number: +44 1387 710286
Address: 89 Worship Street, London EC2A 2BFView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Conservation through environmental educationA Rocha’s global environmental education (EE) activities are equipping and empowering ch... More
Kenyan beach boys: hope through conservationThe rockpools of Watamu Marine National Park in Kenya provide an opportunity for tourists ... More
Saving speciesBy combining species-targeted research with broader community-based conservation, A Roch... More
Fighting for ForestsForests are home to 300 million people and 80% of all land-based species. A Rocha is helpi... More