A Rocha International
A Rocha International
We are a Christian organization working in 20 countries to engage communities in nature conservation. Our first initiative was a field study centre in Portugal, and so our name is Portuguese and means ‘The Rock’.
A Rocha is an international Christian organization which, inspired by God’s love, engages in scientific research, environmental education and community-based conservation projects.
In all the countries where we work, A Rocha is identified by five core commitments and to a practical outworking of each:
Christian - Underlying all we do is our biblical faith in the living God, who made the world, loves it and entrusts it to the care of human society.
Conservation - We carry out research for the conservation and restoration of the natural world and run environmental education programmes for people of all ages.
Community - Through our commitment to God, each other and the wider creation, we aim to develop good relationships both within the A Rocha family and in our local communities.
Cross-cultural - We draw on the insights and skills of people from diverse cultures, both locally and around the world.
Cooperation - We work in partnership with a wide variety of organizations and individuals who share our concerns for a sustainable world.
A Rocha International aims to:
- Scientific research: Across all our projects, A Rocha teams undertake long-term research and monitoring programmes, most of which aims to inform conservation priorities.
- Community-based conservation: A Rocha works with communities to restore and protect threatened habitats and endangered wildlife.
- Environmental education: Through our environmental education work, both with children and adults, A Rocha is helping people to appreciate the beauty and fragility of nature and to care for it.
- Equipping the church: A Rocha resources Christians for environmental action through teaching and involvement in practical conservation projects.
- Ethical leadership and mentoring: In all of our work, we seek to uphold the needs of the poor and marginalized, give a voice to a voiceless creation, promote justice and offer hope.
Established: March 1983
Registered Charity Number: 1136041
Board members: 8
Full time staff: 10
Part time staff: 7
Phone number: +44 1387 710286
Address: 89 Worship Street, London EC2A 2BFView charity accounts on the Charity Commission website
Environmental education: for conservation and hopeA Rocha’s global environmental education (EE) activities are equipping and empowering ch... More
Kenyan beach boys: hope through conservationThe rockpools of Watamu Marine National Park in Kenya provide an opportunity for tourists ... More
Saving speciesBy combining species-targeted research with broader community-based conservation, A Roch... More
Fighting for ForestsForests are home to 300 million people and 80% of all land-based species. A Rocha is helpi... More